Inner Landscapes; A Place of Refuge

An inner landscape is a life you lead inside of yourself; a place no one else can go unless invited. Although it looks different for each of us, all inner landscapes have this in common: they are a place of refuge. If you look deep enough, you will be able to find the images in your mind of your inner landscape; your own place of power and peace.

Today is a day where being able to tap into my inner landscape and find peace is how I need to stay grounded.

My inner landscape is multi-dimensional and serves more than one purpose depending on how I need to restore, rest, empower and breathe. One part of my inner landscape is a field of flowers. That’s where I go when I need to feel at peace. It’s a place where I can rest and restore my inner resources because I feel safe and protected there, with very little noise coming from my busy monkey-mind that tends to nag at me during the day.

Mostly my inner landscape is peaceful, warm and sunny; although, I also have a cliff I go to that is rugged and barren. There is one leaf-less tree there with a few wisps of grass growing up around it, but otherwise, it is bare. The cliff is jagged, gray and very rocky with the sound of a turbulent sea splashing thunderous waves against the rocks. That’s the inner landscape I go to when my life is stormy and I’m dealing with challenges that I’m not quite ready to confront.

When I’m there, I hear my inner voice of self-doubt, self-judgment, and shame. It’s a place I go to when I know I need to look at things about myself that are comfortably uncomfortable but I’m not yet ready to change. I sit on the edge of my cliff and listen to the water crashing up against the rocks. Even though it is a place I go to when my life is stormy, I love my rocky cliffs and the crashing water that surrounds me.

My inner landscape is different from my happy place.

My happy place is where I go to help me face the typical stresses of daily life. Sitting in a traffic jam, going to the dentist, standing in a long line sends me to my happy place. That quick take a deep breath to stave off the frustration place that we go to. My inner landscape is a place I go to for reflection. A place where I go deep inside of myself.

Can you visualize your inner landscape, your own place of power and peace?

Photo by Sergei Akulich on Unsplash

20 thoughts on “Inner Landscapes; A Place of Refuge

1. agoodlittlegirl November 26, 2017 / 9:04 pm

Oh, I visited another happy place. Right here where I tell my stories. 🙂

2. Alexis Rose November 26, 2017 / 8:57 pm

Wow! That is an awesome inner landscape. Im reading this 6 hrs after you wrote it. I hope you were able to go there today. 😃

3. agoodlittlegirl November 26, 2017 / 2:49 pm

I too have my “happy” place. Picture a woman, an easel and canvas, jars of paint perched in a not too sunny cabin window, lakeside. Here the anxious, noisy world dissipates and a serene, peaceful ambiance reigns. Hmm, I need to go to this place today.

4. smilecalm November 25, 2017 / 10:26 pm

so beautifully balanced!
    i like your inner
    landscape 🙂

5. Alexis Rose November 25, 2017 / 3:46 pm

Thank You for your feedback and sharing your perspective too! I love the yin and yang of an inner landscape. You’re right, life is not all field of flowers and to me too, it would feel inauthentic to not acknowledge that space when I need to be there. Have a wonderful weekend! ❤️

6. the_tovarysh_connection November 25, 2017 / 2:13 pm

I like the fact that you also have a stormy inner landscape. That you are comfortable enough to be present on that barren cliff. I can see myself there even more than in the field of wildflowers b/c it seems more real, more authentic, like life itself. Thank you for sharing this, Alexis.

7. Alexis Rose November 25, 2017 / 3:44 am

❤️ I look forward to hearing about them if you share.