The exhaustion of mindfulness

Try the new Yahoo Mail

35 thoughts on “The exhaustion of mindfulness

1. Shanmugam December 6, 2017 / 7:33 pm

I practiced mindfulness in daily life for more than a decade and my life is a lot different now. I used to be very neurotic, self-conscious, depressed and had all kinds of emotional problems. And I have zero emotional problems now.

The practice of mindfulness in the right way can never be exhausting. If you end up suppressing your thoughts in anyway or reject a part of your mind in an attempt to focus on your surroundings or body sensations, then it is not mindfulness.

Because, mindfulness is all inclusive, you also let your thoughts arise and be present to your thoughts. When you are noticing your thoughts non-judgementally as they arise and pass away, you are actually being present and mindful. In other words, mindfulness is a moment to moment non-judgemental awareness of everything that arises and passes away in your experience, including sensations, emotions, and thoughts. It is also important to have a sense of curiosity when you observe what arises and passed away in the field of your consciousness.

2. Alexis Rose November 14, 2017 / 12:47 pm

Thank You! He is a pretty amazing person. 😊❤️

3. bone&silver November 14, 2017 / 2:31 am

Your son sounds AMAZING, well done for helping to create him…

4. bethanyk November 9, 2017 / 6:20 pm

Me too. I’m glad for you to put it back

5. Alexis Rose November 9, 2017 / 6:18 pm

It sure is!! Im glad to put that city in my rearview mirror once again.

6. bethanyk November 9, 2017 / 6:07 pm

Mindful is just hard. And how can one be mindful if you are in a surrounding that makes you have PTSD. It is kind of an oxymoron right?

7. bethanyk November 9, 2017 / 5:37 pm

How wonderful that your son SEES you!!!!!!!!!!

8. Alexis Rose November 5, 2017 / 3:12 pm

Its an evolving process and well worth it. 😊

9. Jim November 5, 2017 / 1:36 pm

I’m learning mindfulness right now. it does seem to help me cope from time to time but I have a long ways to go with it.

10. Alexis Rose November 3, 2017 / 7:27 pm

Great question! I wont have a reason to fly back there any longer. I have a brother with 2 kids and this was the last to get married. ❤️

11. K E Garland November 3, 2017 / 3:57 pm

I have a question and I hope it doesn’t upset you. Are you being mindful of the present if you’re ignoring how your body feels when you visit the town that holds traumatic events?

12. dbest1ishere November 2, 2017 / 8:12 pm

I have such a hard time practicing mindfulness. Maybe that is because I don’t have a mind? I’m not sure but my therapist pushes me to keep trying it and I struggle each time.

13. E November 1, 2017 / 10:54 pm

Exactly! It does, and….we’re still anxious. 😂 Your brave validation is so helpful.

14. Alexis Rose November 1, 2017 / 5:08 pm

Thank you so, so much E. I was nervous about posting this because mindfulness tends to only focus on it will feel good. Which it does, and…
    😃❤️

15. Alexis Rose November 1, 2017 / 5:06 pm

Thank You, Summer. I know you can relate. My son is wise for you too ❤️❤️

16. E November 1, 2017 / 2:08 pm

Spot on and so validating. Yesterday I was researching the long term impacts of complex trauma. None of the ‘expert’ articles said it as well as you have here. Exhausted. Yep. Thanks Alexis. ❤️

17. summerSHINES November 1, 2017 / 1:52 pm

Your son is so wise, and what he said is absolutely true and very insightful. I relate 100%

18. aspiringherbalist November 1, 2017 / 1:08 pm

That was very understanding and considerate of your son to notice your struggles and talk with you about them! I think your behaviors and difficulties really represent the notion that I have discovered as I age; we are all really adolescents forever inside but our outer appearance changes. At least I feel that way a lot of the time, especially when I feel depressed, stressed or anxious. I’m sorry for your battle but grateful you have support and strategies you use to cope. So many people wouldn’t be able to automatically use mindfulness as successfully as you do. Have a wonderful day!💕🌻 ~Anne

19. Kat November 1, 2017 / 12:02 pm

Wonderful and very interesting blog 🙂 ❤

20. Tamara Kulish November 1, 2017 / 11:31 am

It never occurred to me that the practice of mindfulness could be so exhausting.

My experience of it has brought me peace and happiness where I used to worry. However, I haven’t gone through what you have.

Thank you for sharing this and explaining how it works for you. Even though it’s exhausting, I’m glad you have this tool, because the alternative is worse to think about.

I’m glad you have something to help you pull yourself out of the insanity of your past and help you you experience the beauty of your present family and how your son understands you!

21. @vapor_sage November 1, 2017 / 11:26 am

Yes! Paying attention requires an immense amount of energy, and when there is something else within demanding attention I can only imagine. Bless you and thank you.