Your Old Hometown

How do you go back
to your old hometown
with memories of
ghouls and goblins all around?

How do you put a smile
on your face
as you pass the trees that hold
the secrets of the night?

How do we teach our supportive ones
to empathize and validate?
To understand that seeing street signs,
telephone poles and old neighborhoods can bring
back dark memories just beyond the exits.

It’s a tricky dance and
one I have not tangoed with for many, many, years.
In our hearts, we can feel both love and fear.
In our actions, we can create a circle of gratitude.
And yet, in our minds, our dinosaur minds
the past seeps out, the truth seeps out.

I plan to experience a time of gladness
with the people, I  left behind.
The ones who deserve celebration and restful love.
The ones who stayed and are happy in my old hometown.

How would you go back to your old hometown if
you had memories of ghouls and goblins all around?

11 thoughts on “Your Old Hometown

1. K E Garland October 27, 2017 / 10:49 pm

Ummm…I probably just wouldn’t go back, but that might be an unhealthy way to deal with it.

2. taurusingemini October 26, 2017 / 10:03 am

You just have to be, put yourself in the presences of the ghost of your past, a little at a time, until you’d develoepd some sort of a tolerance toward them, and then, one day, you will be able to, MARCH right back to that hometown of yours, with absolutely, NO more emotional baggages to carry.

3. Alexis Rose October 25, 2017 / 9:23 pm

I hope you felt some peace with the closure. ❤️❤️

4. bethanyk October 25, 2017 / 3:34 pm

I recently went back to bring some closure

5. Alexis Rose October 25, 2017 / 1:50 pm

Im so glad you are taking good self-care. Thats the most important thing we can do. ❤️

6. dbest1ishere October 25, 2017 / 12:33 pm

I don’t live too far away from where I grew up a couple of hours but I cannot go back there. I have thought about it but I have so many bad memories I don’t think it would be helpful at this time.

7. Alexis Rose October 25, 2017 / 4:15 am

Thank You! Im so happy to hear how freeing your life is becoming in spite of the pain. This makes me smile! ❤️

8. emergingfromthedarknight October 25, 2017 / 2:38 am

Going back to my hometown took me many years. I live here now and confronting it all has been painful but ultimately freeing. I loved this. ❤