2nd Draft Jitters

Yesterday, I completed the second draft of my new book and I have the, “what-if-NO-one-reads-it jitters.” I get this way every time I write a book. I was like this, with the poetry books I collaborated on, and I was convinced no one, except my close friends and husband, would read Untangled.  Gratefully, I was wrong! Untangled, has grown some beautiful little toddler legs and is selling nicely each month.

I belong to a writers group, and I know the angst of releasing a book is a mixture of excitement, fear, and hope. The excitement of sending your work out for the world to read, the fear of rejection and the hope that your words will touch someone, and perhaps, that moves them to recommend the book to another, and the chain reaction of selling your book begins to unfold.

I play a lot of mental gymnastics with my book sales and what I deem successful.  With the poetry book, I set a goal of selling 250 copies. If I sold that many then I would feel okay. That many sold and more, and I did feel okay, then I allowed myself the luxury of getting my beautiful lotus tattoo. I continue to set goals for Untangled. I have reached all of them and more. I’m blown out of the water by the response.

So why is it so hard for me to call myself a writer and author? Is it because I do not see my books on the best seller list? Is it because I haven’t entered it into book award contests and therefore don’t have stickers to put on the front cover of my book? Or is because I’m a self-published author and don’t have a big publishing house logo on my cover? No, none of those are true.

I have many, many friends who are artists. Many are painters, photographers,  writers, or awesome crafters. Many of them, like myself, are their own worst critics.   Perhaps that keeps our egos at bay and keeps our creativity flowing.

I have no answers as to why I have the 2nd draft jitters. Well, I have a little bit of an inkling. The 2nd draft now goes to my very competent editor. She is red-penned ready and so am I! Of course, the thought of having to do a 3rd and 4th draft is not enticing. The dread of the editing process is what has stopped me from moving forward the past few months.

I’m ready to shake off the jitters, go to my aerobics class and sweat for an hour and know that I’m one draft closer to releasing my next book.

27 thoughts on “2nd Draft Jitters

1. Alexis Rose September 29, 2017 / 2:11 pm

Thank You!!
    I got my first feedback on my cover picture and it was a 👎🏼. Ugh…here we go again. 😜all part of the process.

2. K E Garland September 29, 2017 / 1:11 am

Congratulations! I understand what you mean. Releasing your work publicly is nerve-wracking.

3. Alexis Rose September 28, 2017 / 12:22 pm

Thanks, Summer. I’m hoping for a January or February release date. ❤️

4. jazzyjenness September 28, 2017 / 10:48 am

You’re welcome Alexis. Thank you for the encouragement and I will definitely let you know.

5. Alexis Rose September 27, 2017 / 9:35 pm

Thank you so much Didi. Im looking forward to what you think of my memoir.
    Yes, Im very anxious about the book. I go on and off the fence over whether I want to go through all this again. I know I do…or do I?!? 😁

6. Didi Oviatt - Author September 27, 2017 / 8:39 pm

Second drafts are huge!! I always get those exact same jitters, doesn’t it just make you so anxious!?! I just downloaded Untangled on my unlimited library. It’s about 4 books down my list, but I can’t wait to read it!! Looks like such a powerful story!

7. watchingthedaisies September 27, 2017 / 6:06 pm

Congratulations Alexis. You will get past the final drafts and then some. 🌼🌼🌼

8. Alexis Rose September 27, 2017 / 5:35 pm

Oh thank you…you just brought a huge smile to my face! 😁

9. dbest1ishere September 27, 2017 / 2:22 pm

Congratualtions on finishing the draft! I am sure it will do just fantastic!

10. Alexis Rose September 27, 2017 / 2:19 pm

Thank You, Tiffany. Go for it with the Writers Digest contest. Let me know what happens! 😊

11. Alexis Rose September 27, 2017 / 2:17 pm

Thank You Shari Rose, its coming to your email very soon! 😳😃🌹🐿❤️

12. jazzyjenness September 27, 2017 / 2:17 pm

I feel the same way as you about being my own worst critic. There is a contest that I want to enter for Writer’s Digest, but I’m so unsure of myself. I know that my writing has improved since starting school a few years ago, but I am just so nervous.
    I also want to congratulate you on your upcoming second book.
    Keep the faith and keep pressing on!
    God bless.
    Tiffany

13. sharon richter September 27, 2017 / 2:02 pm

2nd draft jitters or not you got this girl! Excited for this next book. 😀

14. Tamara Kulish September 27, 2017 / 2:00 pm

Congratulations on finishing your draft! Each book is huge and requires enormous output! 😎

15. Jim September 27, 2017 / 1:54 pm