Grief and Mindfulness

Some mindfulness masters teach, that you cannot fully begin to meditate until you have wept deeply. I once read a story of a Zen teacher who flirted with meditation for years before he decided to commit. He recalled how he wept openly and often for two years and after he had grieved for many things in his life, only then was he able to sit in silence.

I was sitting outside this morning, enjoying the beautiful day when I began to feel the pull of profound grief and sadness for the life I had uncovered. For the loss, for the pain, for the torture, for the years that I clung to survival as my only way of life. Sad for the years of having no hope, no dreams, no promises made…thinking that whoever came into my life would go. Not by virtue of old age, sickness or played out friendships. But would just turn around and go. I don’t dwell there very long anymore, but sometimes, it’s a place I walk through after being triggered.

I began to recall the lesson about weeping. I thought about the many times during guided meditation that I would begin to shed tears. Not weeping, but feeling the unmistakable wetness on my cheek from tears. Feeling the tears stream down my cheeks, I stopped and pulled myself back to reality. The reality of kids, shopping lists or work. Never understanding that perhaps those tears marked the beginning of my spirit wanting to open up, cleanse myself through grief and help guide me on my path. I couldn’t tip-toe around those intense feelings, I didn’t understand that there is openness after grief, and it is an important part of life and growth.

Before I came in to write this, I grabbed a leaf that was floating down from a tree, made a wish, blew it away and came in to write.

I wished I could go away deep in the woods without the sounds of the world and cry. I thought about a story I once read of a girl in the silver boat who had gone through the woods and came out on a beautiful shore. I thought about my intense pull to grieve, and to also have the life I want to live. I yearn to go into the woods without the sounds of the world and cry. But I get triggered in the woods, bad things happened in the woods. And, still, I love the woods! My desire to go into the woods to grieve, to find peace, is coupled directly with trauma so triggering that going into the woods is a challenge. Mindfulness comes in by bringing myself back to the present, after experiencing a flashback. But, that’s not the simple experience I want for my life, my grief, my practice. It’s a paradox.

I realize that the girl in the silver boat and the zen master who said they wept for years are stories. They are books, metaphors that help show us another way and provide hope and give us the strength to keep trying, keep breathing.  Admittedly, sometimes I don’t have faith in my ability to heal completely. I can stay in my head and trick myself into thinking it just the words I am supposed to feel, not feelings, I am supposed to feel.

My body, my mind, my soul wants to feel the feelings and grieve whatever it is I need to grieve. I yearn to be like those who have the ability to find solace in quiet places. Who emerges from a weekend alone with full cups and peace in their heart. I’m not ready to dwell in those quiet places. I have been wonderfully surprised that some mindfulness teachers are saying, that if a person is working through trauma, perhaps sitting and meditating is not the best path at the moment. For me, that’s the way it is right now. I accept it and respect the reality and the process of healing. Someday, I may be able to cry an ocean of tears that will take me through the woods, to the sparkling sea, and then be able to sit on the cushion just acknowledging my thoughts vs spinning into the past.

I am not a Zen teacher. I don’t necessarily want to be able to sit for hours. I try to live mindful, present and surf the waves of emotion as they happen. I also intend to stay the path.  I set my intention every morning, I try to evolve, but know deep down inside that without shedding the tears, feeling the words, experiencing the grief, I will never heal the way I want to heal. Without grieving over the life that was, I will continue to open the scab without letting it healing into a beautiful gnarly scar.

photo: pixabay

102 thoughts on “Grief and Mindfulness

1. Joni November 14, 2017 / 3:26 am

Can’t love this enough.

2. Alexis Rose October 31, 2017 / 11:51 pm

Its tough but keep working on it. It changes and sometimes its not as hard as other times. ❤️

3. Kate Dawson October 31, 2017 / 10:08 pm

This is exactly where I’m at with healing – Needing to grieve the trauma before able to be more mindful.

4. Alexis Rose October 16, 2017 / 1:41 pm

Thank You! Yes, crying those cleansing tears is so healing.

5. Madeline Johnson October 16, 2017 / 12:34 am

Great post. I have found so much relief in crying out the pain. Thank you for sharing.

6. Alexis Rose October 10, 2017 / 9:03 am

Thats a wise visual from your therapist. Its great when we can cry some of our left over tears. ❤️

7. mindfulnessmum October 10, 2017 / 8:06 am

This is a wonderful text. My therapist says we have a bathtub of tears we have not shed… So I am quite happy if I can cry some of them.

8. undefined66 September 29, 2017 / 5:46 pm

The wounds remain as battle scars and reminders that we lost someone who took a piece of us when we left.. your post is poignant!

9. Vilina Christoph September 26, 2017 / 10:31 am

Healing is a process we need to trust. Some days I want for things to speed up and be grief-free and pain-free. But instead I came to accept that maybe this is what my life is about – to heal a much deeper generational pain and that maybe I’m not supposed to be or do anything else. Surrender and accept things as they are. ❤

10. Alexis Rose September 23, 2017 / 7:26 pm

Thank You for sharing your thoughts. It is really interesting how grief moves through us, isn’t it! Have a wonderful weekend. ❤️❤️

11. rabbitpatchdiary.com September 23, 2017 / 3:13 pm

Beautifully moving and made me quite thoughtful. I have always felt that crying was cleansing-and that grieving necessary when faced with a loss or calamity. I have never tried to “shy away” from feeling the sadness that follows some tragedy. I have not had the kind of experience, you have, but I do know that I have several events that seem to creep out slowly making me “cry some of it out” little by little. Thank you for making me consider such things.

12. Alexis Rose September 22, 2017 / 9:28 pm

Thank YOU! Im going to remember, “I guess until” when Im trying to make it stop! Have a wonderful weekend. 💕

13. Blue Sky September 22, 2017 / 8:43 pm

I have been sitting here absorbing your words. I have been thinking over the past two days how terribly afraid I am of my feelings. I think grieving comes in waves just like you are experiencing. It is hard to say how long it takes. I guess until! Thank you!

14. Jim September 22, 2017 / 5:26 pm

I just started learning and reading about mindfulness. very interesting.

15. Alexis Rose September 22, 2017 / 5:20 pm

Thank You, Esther. ❤️

16. Esther September 22, 2017 / 4:35 pm

This is beautiful. The emotions you poured into the words…I’m no meditator, neither do I hold much interest to it, but your words were powerful, and you were able to communicate with such depth.

17. Alexis Rose May 23, 2017 / 1:55 am

Thank You! Im so glad they resonated with you. 💕

18. Alexis Rose May 5, 2017 / 5:14 pm

Thank You so much for sharing this with me. Thats awesome that your mom shared that with you. Have a wonderful weekend.

19. Brakes For Beauty May 5, 2017 / 4:39 pm

This reminds me of my mom. After her father passed away (she was in her 20’s), she went on a meditation retreat and couldn’t meditate until she sobbed it all out. She told me everything was released and although still sad it wasn’t prolonged grief. Great post.

20. Alexis Rose April 26, 2017 / 4:11 pm

Thanks for your feedback Sam. I will head over to your blog now.

21. samba2017 April 26, 2017 / 3:22 pm

Tears are so healing. I have cried a river since I lost my dear Dad and our brilliant cat and will keep crying whenever I need to. Like you say, this is how you let go. Thanks so much for sharing. I have a poetry blog here on WordPress in case you have time to look? Have a nice evening, Sam 🙂

22. Alexis Rose April 15, 2017 / 9:49 pm

This is so beautiful, Ali. Thank you for your insight and for sharing your breakthrough. I love it that you were able to just be in the moment without judgement. That is huge!! Thank You so much for your support. Have a wonderful weekend. 🤗

23. Ali Grimshaw April 15, 2017 / 9:24 pm

Alexis, I relate to what you have shared. My most recent breakthrough with meditation was sitting in a room full of people in silence as tears ran down my face. I was proud to be, feel and act just the way I was feeling in those moments of time. It is a promise I kept to myself to not hide who I am anymore. Give yourself grace as you continue to let the light into the past memories that still cause you pain. Walk gently, remind yourself how brave you are and know that love walks with you.

24. Zen Drops April 15, 2017 / 3:07 am

Your sharing is the kindest. You are teaching tolerance and respect.

25. samba2017 February 22, 2017 / 8:19 am

This was very moving – thank you for sharing 🙂

26. Alexis Rose February 1, 2017 / 11:40 am

Thank You, Stephen. Look forward to connecting on our blogs.

27. Lone Wolf Breathes February 1, 2017 / 8:51 am

This is a great post which I enjoyed reading, your questioning, your processing, it was like a drift through your mind, beautifully honest. Following you for more. Stephen

28. Alexis Rose January 16, 2017 / 12:53 am

Im so sorry to hear that your little boy has cancer and that you lost your dad. Thats a lot of pain and grief. Im glad to hear that this post provided some comfort. Sending you support and holding space for you in my heart. ❤

29. motherwolfweb January 15, 2017 / 9:56 pm

Thank you so much for this beautifully put post. I lost my dad 4 years ago unexpectedly and grieving has been very hard. I also have a nearly 3 year old little boy who is a cancer patient. All i ever feel i am doing is seeing death everywhere, i have such a fear of who it is gonna take from me next. I am the youngest of 5 and i,m at least 10 years younger than them. So i have this fear that i am going to lose them all eventually and be alone. When my little boy got cancer, i began to worry it would be him who i would lose. I dont think i could bear that if it ever happens. Losing my dad has taken life from me. I just feel like life has burst my bubble and given me a hard slap. All i feel is pain and loss and fear that i am going to continue losing pieces of my heart as i lose each person.

30. Alexis Rose December 20, 2016 / 10:51 pm

Thank You. And I agree, better late than never. 🙂

31. Con.tdex December 20, 2016 / 9:49 pm

Great post. Indeed if only we knew earlier in our lives how mindfulness can guide us through the heartache; better late than never of course!

32. houseofrogue December 15, 2016 / 2:27 pm

The pleasure’s all mine!

33. houseofrogue December 14, 2016 / 10:37 pm

Thank you so much for being this open. What a wonderful post and moving story. I’m working within the theme of mindfulness as well at the moment, currently writing about accepting and letting go; your post is a true inspiration for my writing!

34. Alexis Rose October 31, 2016 / 1:59 am

Thank You so much! Your comment came at just the right time. Thank You! 🙂

35. Inside a Dire Mind October 31, 2016 / 1:57 am

Your quality of writing and emotional depth create such an ambience as I slide down your prose.

36. Alexis Rose October 24, 2016 / 6:01 pm

Thank You so much for reblogging this post. Im glad you connected with it. 😀

37. saywhatumean2say October 24, 2016 / 5:50 pm

Reblogged this on saywhatumean2say and commented:
    So many people really just do it better than me. This is a wonderful post and fills me with a profound sense of non-sadness. ~~dru~~

38. Alexis Rose October 18, 2016 / 2:42 pm

Thank You for reading my post and for your beautiful comment!

39. Madeline Johnson October 18, 2016 / 1:29 pm

Tears poured down my cheeks as I read this post. Thank you for sharing this

40. Alexis Rose October 17, 2016 / 1:01 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss of your Nana. Grief comes in such hard, hard waves. I’m grateful to hear this post helped, even if it’s in the smallest way. Thank You for reading it. Big Hugs as you move through your grief. xx

41. Dany Slone October 17, 2016 / 11:34 am

very beautiful, my Nana just passed and this has helped me a great deal. grief can be so overwhelming 😦

42. Alexis Rose September 30, 2016 / 2:45 pm

Thank You for reblogging this. 😃

43. Alexis Rose September 30, 2016 / 2:43 am

Keri, Im so sorry for your loss. Im glad that my post came at this time especially if it gives you a modicum of comfort. Take good care of yourself. Thank You for reading and commenting. Peace to you. Alexis

44. kerilynnturney September 30, 2016 / 2:31 am

This couldn’t have come at a better time. My mother-in-law died yesterday. My own Mom died 18 years ago, and my second Mom came into my life around the same time. I thought a lot today about how I will grieve. I am not ready yet to cry that hard, hard cry. This post was just what I needed. It was beautifully written and touched me deeply. Thank you… Keri

45. Alexis Rose September 30, 2016 / 1:59 am

Beautifully put, we are all a work in progress. Thank You for your kind words. 💕

46. Miriam September 30, 2016 / 1:39 am

An honest and moving post that deeply resonates with me. For me the tears flow sometimes too easily but still peace eludes me. We’re all a work in progress.

47. Alexis Rose September 30, 2016 / 1:05 am

Thank You so much for your comment. Grief is a hard step but a necessary one. Have a wonderful evening. 💕 Alexis

48. Alexis Rose September 30, 2016 / 1:04 am

Thank You for reblogging and the kind comments. 😃 Alexis

49. vanbytheriver September 30, 2016 / 1:00 am

A very powerful message. It took me a long time to grieve for the hurt experienced in childhood. When it began, the tears flowed, long overdue. It’s an important step that we should not ignore. Loved your post. Thanks. 💝

50. Opinionated Man September 30, 2016 / 12:41 am

Reblogged this on HarsH ReaLiTy and commented:
    Some good thoughts on not only dealing with grief, but also accepting it as well. Great post!
    Note: Comments disabled here. Please visit their blog.

51. somethingwrongwiththeworld September 29, 2016 / 7:31 pm

Maybe its okay to be exactly where we are. It seems like that is what you are saying. Thank you for sharing this story.

52. Alexis Rose September 28, 2016 / 1:46 pm

Thank You for sharing this. Yes, it seems as if the tears are never ending sometimes. The cleansing and the painful tears. I’m so happy to hear you are feeling your way through this painful, yet powerful step. Have a wonderful day! Alexis

53. Alexis Rose September 28, 2016 / 1:43 pm

Thank You Laura. It’s so true we can’t skip this step, although I sure wish I could. Thank You for your wonderful and supportive comment. Peace to you! Alexis

54. dbest1ishere September 28, 2016 / 1:34 pm

I went for years without being able to cry. I wanted to believe me I so wanted to. The flood gates for that finally opened up in therapy and it seems like the tears will never end. It feels good to be able to cry and grieve the past I had and the one I missed out on.

55. Laura September 28, 2016 / 4:15 am

Very timely. This is where I’m at – realizing that my attempts to think positive and focus on the present are inhibited by my reluctance to fully process and grieve for the past. It’s a painful step, but it cannot be skipped. Beautifully written. Best to you. 💕

56. Meenakshi Sethi September 27, 2016 / 11:28 pm

Yes recognising, accepting and working on it are basic necessary steps if we want to heal…such an awesome writing!

57. Alexis Rose September 27, 2016 / 11:24 pm

The anger is huge to be working on! That takes a lot of energy. Be well. 🙂

58. Mouseycarl326 September 27, 2016 / 9:09 pm

I never thought of that side of it, right now my therapist and I are dealing with the anger side.

59. Alexis Rose September 27, 2016 / 12:03 pm

Crying is a huge positive step. Im glad to hear thenpostbeas helpful. Thank You! Have a good day today. 💕

60. bethanyk September 27, 2016 / 7:12 am

I never cried. I’ve ust begun to, I wonder where I will go from here. Your post is helpful on my journey

61. Alexis Rose September 27, 2016 / 2:03 am

Thank You K E!! Wow, that makes me feel incredible. In fact, your comment to me turned my evening around. 💕💕

62. Alexis Rose September 27, 2016 / 2:01 am

Thank You so much! I really appreciate your feedback. Im really glad you connected with it. I was kind of netvous about hitting the publish button. 🙂

63. K E Garland September 27, 2016 / 12:22 am

Alexis, you’ve said something here to make me think. Those who are still in trauma are not necessarily prepared to meditate or sit quietly. A friend of mine once said she tried to meditate, but she couldn’t stop crying long enough to focus. It didn’t make sense then, but the way you’ve said it here does. Thanks.

64. SpiritualJourney17 September 26, 2016 / 11:58 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I started attending a class in January and it teaches us if feelings/emotions arise…feel it, go with it and then let it go. Powerful stuff. Loved your post!

65. jesstmxo September 26, 2016 / 10:54 pm

Thank you for your support in following my clog I hope I will be as much helpl for you x

66. Alexis Rose September 26, 2016 / 10:38 pm

Thank You! It does get easier as time moves on. I appreciate your kind and supportive words. 🙂

67. jesstmxo September 26, 2016 / 10:34 pm

This helped a lot!! Hope you will follow my blog for any useful tips x

68. hazelhillboro September 26, 2016 / 9:59 pm

They say that time heals all wounds, which I don’t think is exactly true, but maybe time makes all wounds hurt a little less (even though they’re not totally healed). I hope you can find that the pain is not so acute as time goes by.

69. jesstmxo September 26, 2016 / 9:54 pm

I’d appreciate it very much if you game my blog a follow as I am currently helping to give out beauty tips hope you do and will be of use to you

70. Alexis Rose September 26, 2016 / 9:15 pm

Right?!? We get to have this my friend Summer. Someday, we will do that together. I can see it, and we will look at the trees and sky (maybe a moon sky?) and know we are okay!! I can see it for both of us! 💜💃🏻💃🏻💜

71. summerstartstoshine September 26, 2016 / 9:08 pm

Wanna hug you! This is a very thoughtful post. I wish we could brave the woods and cry/grieve together 💖

72. Alexis Rose September 26, 2016 / 7:34 pm

Thank You Jean. 💕💕

73. Jean Johnson September 26, 2016 / 6:17 pm

You have beautiful depth.