Foreword

On a cool Colorado morning in June, I guided Alexis and her daughter up the switchbacks leading to the summit of a 14,000 foot peak. With the tree line below us, I watched the two extraordinary women in front of me scramble up the rocks and obstacles that stood in their way. The air was thin, especially for us flatlanders, requiring frequent rests and breaks. Near the apex, we sat and reflected upon the remarkable journey that Alexis had been on. On that day, she showed the same courage and tenacity that she had shown through our years of therapy together. She made it evident that nothing would deter her from summiting. It was the literal realization of the metaphorical journey that we had been on.

Climbing a mountain. This was the early metaphor that we adopted to describe the healing process. My role was that of Sherpa; I was there to guide the way, keep her safe, and help carry some of her burdens. Her job was to keep putting one foot in front of the other, to trust the process, and to honor my requests for her to slow down and rest along the way.

Over the course of our time together, Alexis has taught me a great deal about the human capacity for growth and change. That tenacity helped mediate the incredible sadness, sorrow, and horror that came with my bearing witness to the abuse and torture she endured during the first half of her life.

As serendipity would have it, we share some common beliefs. We have a mutual respect for one another, a shared love for all the ways the F-word can be used in the English language, similar humor, and spiritual beliefs. All of these things have been a gift as we worked to untangle the extraordinary mess that trauma left behind.

I am indebted to her in so many ways. She has been a steadfast example of the parent I aspire to be. She has broadened my awareness of world politics and the unfortunate path the intelligence community has at times followed. She is the embodiment of courage, and I have stolen many of her mantras along the way. She has made me a better psychologist and a better human being, and for this, I am eternally grateful.

~Kevin

Foreword from Untangled, A Story of Resilience, Courage, and Triumph

36 thoughts on “Foreword

1. Alexis Rose September 4, 2017 / 12:49 pm

Thank You Mia. Yes I did write a book. If you go to the post and click on the picture of the book it should take you to amazon. I have it linked. My book is called Untangled, A story of resilience, courage, and triumph by Alexis Rose.
    Its book in print and ebook formats.

2. mia_haider September 4, 2017 / 9:01 am

amazing post. Also did you write a book?? in my point of view you or anyone needs a lot of patience to write a book. Is this book available in any country??
    best wishes,

3. tarnishedsoul March 19, 2017 / 8:43 pm

Awesome. My next one will be Democrat or Handies.
    I love doing Grays…it took my two tries, but I did it.

4. This field was intentionally left blank March 19, 2017 / 3:25 am

Awesome!! Take pictures! I totally love mountains, and I’m so excited for you! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼💜

5. This field was intentionally left blank March 19, 2017 / 3:24 am

Lol yep! That and the scorpions. We have both of those here as well. Mom has to turn her boots upside down before putting them on, just in case lol 😂😂💖

6. This field was intentionally left blank March 19, 2017 / 3:23 am

Indeed! Amazingly so – which is eerie (in a good way) and very cool at the same time! 👍🏽💘

7. This field was intentionally left blank March 19, 2017 / 3:19 am

Lol can’t blame you there! Yeah, AZ rocks the free world 🙌🏼🙌🏼🎉🎊💙

8. This field was intentionally left blank March 19, 2017 / 3:18 am

I totally love the St Paul side. I’m less familiar with it, but it always seemed a bit more down to earth, and I love its historical aspect. I try to come up and see friends once a year and I know I’ll be coming up for a funeral or two this year. But it’s all expected and it’s ok. I love coming back up there to visit. I’ve even learned to like the cold! It’s a nice break from the scorching summers here lol 😘💓💓

9. Alexis Rose March 19, 2017 / 3:17 am

Winters are brutal. I just came back from 3 days in Arizona so I could start to thaw out.

10. This field was intentionally left blank March 19, 2017 / 3:16 am

Totally!! Awesomesauce 😂😉💖

11. This field was intentionally left blank March 19, 2017 / 3:16 am

I loved the school and we had a cool older house. Lots of good memories and good teachers! Just couldn’t take the winters lol – had to come back to Texas after a while 😉😂💜

12. Alexis Rose March 19, 2017 / 3:15 am

No WAY! I love this. Small world in this big blogosphere 😁

13. This field was intentionally left blank March 19, 2017 / 3:14 am

Graduated from Edina 😊❤️

14. Alexis Rose March 19, 2017 / 3:13 am

Thank You, Laina. It’s was awesome thats for sure. Im hoping to go again this summer. Fingers crossed! I’ll wave to you if I climb that mountain. 🤗💕

15. This field was intentionally left blank March 19, 2017 / 3:11 am

OMG you live in MN?? Which part? (In general) 😊❤️

16. Alexis Rose March 19, 2017 / 3:10 am

No. Im actually in MN. But, I LOVE Colorado and plan another trip to Grays Peak in June. 🏔

17. This field was intentionally left blank March 19, 2017 / 2:52 am

Wow, what a beautiful tribute! I love this 😊 Totally jealous that I wasn’t there with you all ❤️
    ~The Silent Wave/Laina 🌟🌟

18. tarnishedsoul March 19, 2017 / 1:33 am

Of course! I take it you’re here in Colorado too?

19. Alexis Rose March 18, 2017 / 1:45 pm

I was out of town so I didn’t see your comment until today. I’m SOOO happy to hear that you understand what hiking that 14er meant to me and my healing journey. Thank You!! 🙂

20. Bonsai March 16, 2017 / 9:51 am

I’ve read her book. It is very inspiring! And she’s a mountain climber too?

21. Alexis Rose March 15, 2017 / 8:53 am

Thank you! Publishing Untangled has been an amazing experience. 💕

22. classyqueeny March 14, 2017 / 11:16 pm

Aww! This is the sweetest thing I read today. What a breath of fresh air, lovely use of words. Cheers 🙂

23. tarnishedsoul March 14, 2017 / 3:33 pm

I love that there is a story about hiking/climbing one of my beloved 14ers. I began hiking them a few years ago, because I needed to prove to myself that I’m not worthless, that I’m not unable to accomplish something. There is something great about hiking a 14er, because it shows you that you have a way to accomplish great things!
    And they are not easy, so it’s a testament of character. 🙂 ❤