Surfing the Waves of Emotions

So much emotion!

I feel thankful, I feel happy, I feel stunned.

I feel tired, I feel confused, I feel scared and sometimes terrified.

I feel a sense of peace and connectedness to the world around me.

I feel hope, I feel calm.

I’m full of anxiety, fear, doubt, restlessness.

I am up, I am down, I am happy and I am sad. I feel fear, I am content.

I feel so many emotions that sometimes I’m not sure how to deal with any of them. So instead of trying to deal with them, I let each one pass through me as they come.

Emotions; We all have them, and they come and go like waves. Some of them are little sets of gentle ripples and some are as intense as a tsunami. Waves come and waves go, each breaking on the shore and each is time-limited.

I have learned to sit with the emotion, to understand that even the most intense feelings will soon ebb, even though it sometimes feels like they take up all the space in my body, mind, and soul. There is even room to feel more than one thing!

When I feel the intense emotions begin to rise, I sometimes try for control. I want to balance perfectly and ride them to the shore with ease. That’s not life, even the most eloquent and prophetic surfer wipes out. It’s okay, another set of emotional waves will come soon enough.  Sometimes gentle, sometimes stormy, sometimes hardly noticing the fleeting feelings. That’s normal, natural, human nature.

I feel grateful.

surfer-1034603_1280

image source: pixabay

41 thoughts on “Surfing the Waves of Emotions

1. ryanblogsblog September 19, 2017 / 12:27 am

I know exactly how you feel Alexis. Whenever I am out surfing I feel at ease. I never thought of it as each wave passes you you let an emotion go. LOVE IT

2. Alexis Rose September 8, 2017 / 12:59 pm

You know that is so true! The end of Aug beginning of September has been a lot of major change for many people I know, now that you mention it. 🤔

3. Vilina Christoph September 8, 2017 / 8:29 am

I FEEL YOU, Alexis! The month of August has been a big emotional trip for many of us. I hope you feel some settlement now ❤

4. Wendy August 27, 2017 / 4:10 pm

What a fabulous post. I love the idea of allowing the emotions to simply ‘pass through’… “I let each one pass through me as they come.” – fab!

5. amybelle August 26, 2017 / 8:43 pm

Wow, this is some really helpful advice. I am practicing Mindfulness and will add this to my practicing!

6. Rayne August 26, 2017 / 4:10 pm

This is so beautiful! ❤ ❤

7. Alexis Rose August 25, 2017 / 7:47 pm

Thank You my friend. And you hang in there always because you are wonderful!! ❤️

8. C.M. Blackwood August 25, 2017 / 4:31 pm

Probably the most eloquent and insightful piece on human emotion I’ve ever read. I really admire the way you’ve learned to deal with your feelings when they come. You’re a very strong person. 🙂

9. Alexis Rose August 4, 2016 / 9:37 am

Thank You! We ARE complicated and so fascinating! 💜

10. Oscar Dandelion August 4, 2016 / 6:21 am

Alexis, I really like how you’ve written about emotions. We humans are complicated things! 🙂
    Love + hugs xo

11. theturtle August 3, 2016 / 3:38 pm

Thank you 🙂 and a wonderful day to you too 🙂

12. Alexis Rose August 3, 2016 / 12:19 pm

Thank You Turtle! I love connecting with people through the comments of mutual bloggers we follow. Its a fun way to find like-minded people. Have a wonderful day today. Alexis

13. theturtle August 3, 2016 / 7:09 am

Your comment on Victo’s today brought me here , how surprised I was in finding another “surfer” 🙂
    Looking forward to take a dip 😉
    Turtle Hugs

14. Alexis Rose August 2, 2016 / 9:55 pm

Thank You Wanda, I really appreciate your comment. I can absolutely relate to that feeling of being consumed by an emotion. In fact today, I had to tell myself, “nope, this will pass.” Have a good evening! 🙂 Alexis

15. Wanda Luthman August 2, 2016 / 9:51 pm

Beautiful. A great reminder to feel our emotions but realize that they don’t own us or define us. I love how you said they don’t take up all the space in our bodies. So true and yet our strong emotions certainly masquerade as though they do.

16. Alexis Rose August 2, 2016 / 10:13 am

Thank You Serena, I really appreciate your feedback. Its always a work in progress to remind myself to quell the power that emotions have over me. Im glad we’ve connected. Alexis

17. Serena Bradshaw August 2, 2016 / 9:49 am

Thanks for the post and especially for reminding me that contradictory emotions takes so long to master for survivors, doesn’t it. It’s taken me 50 years to begin, only begin, to achieve that level of insight x

18. Alexis Rose August 2, 2016 / 2:17 am

Thank You Michelle. Its a work in progress for me too. 💜💜

19. Alexis Rose August 1, 2016 / 11:28 pm

Thank You. That means a lot to me. It helps keep me writing!

20. intergalaticspambox August 1, 2016 / 11:26 pm

Your writing is so genuine and speaks to exactly what I’m experiencing. Thank you for sharing 😀

21. Alexis Rose August 1, 2016 / 11:20 pm

Thank You so much for reblogging this! I really appreciate it. 💜

22. Alexis Rose August 1, 2016 / 7:19 pm

Thank You you, I really appreciate your feedback! 😃💜

23. Alexis Rose August 1, 2016 / 5:56 pm

Thank You Daisy. I appreciate that very much!! 💜

24. Daisy in the Willows August 1, 2016 / 5:46 pm

We are never just one emotion. As complex as that is and as annoying as it may be at times -it means we will have our ups and downs and I just love the surfer going with the waves. Great insight and beautifully expressed x

25. Jackie August 1, 2016 / 3:24 pm

Awesome writing Alexis. It is really really good. Really.

26. Alexis Rose August 1, 2016 / 3:01 pm

Huge Smile and hugging you! Thank You for your kind words and always continued support. You make it a lot easier to hit the publish button each time. Its 10 am here, so its nighttime for you. Sleep well my friend! xx

27. Singledust August 1, 2016 / 2:54 pm

lovely expressive words and feelings Alexis…..you always touch my heart and make me love life a little more than before