PTSD doesn’t Define me; it Impacts me!

The other day, my son asked me, what the difference is between my brain getting overwhelmed when shopping and my brain getting overwhelmed while working. He wanted to know if when shopping  I recover after a couple hours. He understands that if I push it while working, it can take me out of the game for a whole day. I appreciated he asking me, because anything that takes the elephant out of the room, is wonderful. But, I also understood that he asked me because I became so overwhelmed at the grocery store when we were shopping together, that he was concerned that my plans would be affected later that day.  I’m grateful for his concern and his honest question because he understands how my life is impacted by my symptoms.

When I describe myself I don’t use adjectives that bring in my past, that I’m a survivor of trauma or that I’m dealing with this unrelenting illness. I describe myself as a kind, compassionate, person with a wicked (sometimes dark) sense of humor who tries to live an authentic life. I have strong friendships and solid family support from my husband and children. That’s how I would define myself. My PTSD doesn’t define me, but it does impact me.

The effects of my trauma and the resulting PTSD has changed my life. It prevents me from working more than two hours a day, hopping in the car to run errands, enjoying restaurants, travel, and I have to consciously work with the triggers that cause flashbacks, and other assorted symptoms. While that doesn’t define who I am, it does have an effect my life.

I’m in a position, as perhaps most people who deal with a chronic or debilitating illness to find a way to live with my symptoms and try to have an illness free identity. It’s hard.  I spent years minimizing my feelings, being angry at my PTSD, thinking that I’m weak; after all, I survived unimaginable circumstances, why can’t I get my shit together and just get over this thing. That thinking wasn’t helping my trajectory of healing and it certainly didn’t honor my past, my feelings, or the fact that I did survive.

While PTSD doesn’t define me, it certainly impacts my life. I am more than my past, more than my trauma, more than my illness. And my terrible past includes significant trauma resulting in an illness. Sometimes, when people hear about it, read about, and understand that there are some really awful people in the world, it makes them uncomfortable. It’s uncomfortable information, and it should be. We shouldn’t feel comfortable, complacent and unfazed when hearing about abuse. It’s something that can be stopped, abuse is something that is done by one person to another. This illness has changed what I choose to be passionate about, speak about, write about.

To understand what and who we are at our core, our intentions, and how we want to connect to others can define us. We aren’t defined by our circumstances, illness, or professions, but they often dictate how we have to live day-to-day. It’s been a struggle to accept this in my life.  I imagine it’s something I will have to wrestle with as long as I have PTSD. Perhaps, even if I didn’t have an illness, I would be checking myself, making sure I have a larger view, a compassionate perspective, and hope…always hope.

32 thoughts on “PTSD doesn’t Define me; it Impacts me!

1. FIBRO WARRIOR, My New Normal August 21, 2017 / 1:10 pm

Aww, thank you so much for checking us out on YouTube. I’m so thrilled that you enjoyed it! As soon as this one is up, I will definitely let you know. Next week My Love and I are going to do a lil skit on what not to say to someone with Fibro, and what the right thing to say would be. Your thoughts are so appreciated Alexis, and it’s people like yourself, that give me the passion to continue, even on the days that I’m not feeling very well. Thank you for your love and support 💜💋MJ

2. Alexis Rose August 21, 2017 / 9:35 am

I went to youtube to see if your podcasts were there. I listened to the latest episode 24. Wow, MJ that was just so poignant. Im going to keep listening to the others. If you ever have guests let me know. You are so articulate and inspiring. If the latest posdcast goes up on youtube let me know. I’ll post those links too. ❤️

3. Alexis Rose August 21, 2017 / 9:03 am

Thank You so much MJ! I’ll download soundcloud today and have a listen. I was looking for it on my podcast app and couldnt find it so Im glad you let me know its soundcloud. I also shared your facebook posting on my FB page. I love that this is your 27th podcast. Enjoy the eclipse today! 💕🌒😎

4. FIBRO WARRIOR, My New Normal August 21, 2017 / 3:28 am

Hello Alexis darling. The SoundCloud version is up and ready. Here’s the post and links. Have a great evening! Love and hugs 💜💋MJ

☄ 💜 Hello Fibro Warriors! 💜 ☄
    FIBRO WARRIOR, My New Normal
    Episode #27 “Consequences and Expectations”

Today I read a few blogs, first up is Alexis Rose/Untangled – “PTSD doesn’t define me; it impacts me”, touching on how she handles this difficult illness. Then Peg Streep – “Unloved Daughters and the Problem of Friendship”, about how our relationship with our mothers can impact us. And finally “Childhood Expectations”, which was sparked by a picture I came across recently. *I’ve been extremely hot lately, so I apologize for the light hissing sound from my fan in the background. We thank you for following, sharing, and liking, our weekly podcast, biweekly blog, and monthly vlog.
    You are not alone! Love you all 💜💋MJ
    #FibromyalgiaAwareness

Alexis Rose/Untangled – “PTSD…”

Peg Streep – “Unloved Daughters…”

MJ – “Childhood Expectations”

Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls

90’s song: “Love Hurts”
    Written and performed by: MJ Aragon

*Each week I’ll read/share a FW’s journey, poem, blog; anonymously if needed, or on occasion have a guest/call-in. If you would like to to submit your story for me to share, or would like to be a guest/call-in guest. We love for people to share their journeys, it will make you feel good, and will help our listeners feel even more connected. You may private message me or send it to our official email: MJfibrowarrior@gmail.com

Listen to Fibrowarrior Episode #27-“Consequences and Expectations” by FibroWarrior-My New Normal #np on #SoundCloud

5. Alexis Rose August 13, 2017 / 4:10 am

Its so cool that you have a producer to help with the podcasts. You are so inspiring. Have a good rest of of your weekend. ❤️❤️❤️

6. FIBRO WARRIOR, My New Normal August 13, 2017 / 1:48 am

Hi Alexis darling, we had to postpone our podcast until next Fri. My producer has another job that requires a lil more of his time during this part of the season, so he really needed to take the night off. I will let you know once again, when it’s up and available to listen to next week. Sorry to make you wait. We’ll talk soon. Have lovely day 💜💋 MJ

7. Alexis Rose August 11, 2017 / 2:53 am

Thank You so much, MJ. Wow, Im really honored to be included in your podcast. I love listening to podcasts and will begin to listen to yours too. Much log and gratitude that we’ve connected. ❤️Alexis

8. FIBRO WARRIOR, My New Normal August 11, 2017 / 12:58 am

Hi Alexis darling. I love this post, as I relate to it so intimately, because I too suffer from PTSD (childhood trauma), amongst other things. I’m going to share your blog on my ‘FIBRO WARRIOR, My New Normal’ podcast tomorrow night. I know it will also ring true with many of my followers. I’ll share your link, so they may find and follow you as well. I hope I do it justice, and that you enjoy the episode. I’ll share the podcast link with you as soon as it’s up on Sound Cloud, and in a few weeks the video will be up on YouTube as well. Keep writing with that beautiful soul of yours. Love and hugs to you 💜💋MJ
    Here’s my hub page, for all of our weekly podcasts, my biweekly blogs, and monthly vlogs (a lil behind on these) on FB:

9. PatchworkKat August 4, 2017 / 1:21 am

Thank you for sharing it! It’s very well written and describes day to day life with PTSD really well.

10. Christy B August 3, 2017 / 6:53 pm

Excellent viewpoint. You truly sound healthier with each post I read from you, Alexis xx

11. grace to survive August 3, 2017 / 11:36 am

So well spoken and defined. Love this, especially “making sure I have a larger view, a compassionate perspective, ” which to me speaks to going deep and rising above…

12. bone&silver August 2, 2017 / 8:11 pm

Yes, thank you for sharing of yourself, & educating us with your honesty & self-honoring 🙏🏼

13. oneta hayes August 2, 2017 / 6:50 pm

Define or impact? It really does make a difference. Nice to hear how you view yourself in this light.

14. 1Wise-Woman August 2, 2017 / 5:22 pm

I love the phrase, “honor my past.” I have never thought of it in that way and it’s something I will definitely be thinking about. Love this entire post, very helpful, thank you ❤

15. alicewithptsd August 2, 2017 / 2:53 pm

“Impacts me but doesn’t define me.” I love this. I think it’s going to become one of my new mantras. 💕