The Story We Tell Ourselves

Am I enough? Am I worthy? Do I contribute to some greater good?   What impossibly high standard do I still hold myself compared to what I would think reasonable of another person?

What story am I telling myself?

Will people like me if they really know me? Would they run away? Am I too opinionated or am I not judgmental enough? Am I engaged or is it okay to rest, retreat and just be?

What kind of please others, what will they think of me kind of expectations do I have of myself?

Am I aging gracefully, or do my forehead wrinkles and sagging parts make me unattractive? Am I keeping healthy enough or still feeding into the impossible societal standards of weight, exercise, and beauty?

What kind of pressure am I still putting on myself?

Am I letting myself rest? Am I finding contentment in my everyday lived life, Am I acknowledging the love I have and the love I give?

The answer is Yes…

So then what kind of story am I still telling myself? What kind of story are you telling yourself?

34 thoughts on “The Story We Tell Ourselves

1. cseveneaj July 4, 2017 / 1:51 pm

I kind of aks myself these questions too. 😂😂 I can totally relate😁

2. Alexis Rose June 28, 2017 / 4:03 pm

Thank you, Ana. It amazing how connected we all are. Make our life journey a lot easier sometimes. 🤗

3. Alexis Rose June 27, 2017 / 8:33 pm

Thank You! Its so interesting that just yesterday I felt I was the only one telling myself these stories/questions and 24 later relieved and fascinated that is is our human condition. I would love to be able to pinpoint the moment we begin to believe we are not worthy enough. Thank goodness we are capable of growth and change. 🙂

4. careerdoover June 27, 2017 / 8:28 pm

I feel we all are asking ourselves these questions daily (in one way or another). thank you for sharing in a way to encourage us to explore ourselves and our minds. And it is ok to question, but to also know that we are worthy of it all!

5. Alexis Rose June 27, 2017 / 8:28 pm

Oops hit send…it helps try and put some of whats going on in a bit of perspective.

6. Alexis Rose June 27, 2017 / 8:27 pm

That is a wonderful and poignant point K E. Thank You..it helps try to put som of

7. K E Garland June 27, 2017 / 7:07 pm

Sheesh! All of this, at one point or another, has been a part of my story. It just dawned on me that we can’t let each other just be, because we don’t know how to let ourselves just be. Thanks for this Alexis.

8. Singledust June 27, 2017 / 10:17 am

i enjoyed your questions, but loved your answer – a resounding YES! we must hold ourselves that high and know we are beautiful inside and out no matter what!

9. Alexis Rose June 26, 2017 / 11:51 pm

😁 you are a wonderful work in progress. We will embrace our wrinkles. Maybe?!

10. watchingthedaisies June 26, 2017 / 8:20 pm

I think the impossibly high standards that would be unreasonable for other people is such a telling question to ask ourselves. I am definitely a work in progress on that one and the wrinkles😉

11. Dr. Andrea Dinardo June 26, 2017 / 5:26 pm

Thank God you did! The hardest = The greatest rewards. For your readers & for you. 🌹🌹

12. Alexis Rose June 26, 2017 / 5:18 pm

Thank you so much! That means a lot. This was definitely a hard one to hit the publish button on. 😊❤️

13. E June 26, 2017 / 4:51 pm

I’m not sure either so it’s great to ask the questions which is one of the things I love about social media. It’s allowing us to break down stigma and remove barriers in ways that previously weren’t possible. So helpful to know we’re not alone. I hope you have a great Monday too. 🙂

14. Dr. Andrea Dinardo June 26, 2017 / 4:06 pm

Powerful AND educational. Thank you for sharing Alexis. Your courage and wisdom is infectious. 💃♥️

15. Liz June 26, 2017 / 4:02 pm

I can relate to this post.

16. Alexis Rose June 26, 2017 / 2:45 pm

Thanks for reading and sharing your experience my friend. ❤️

17. mia_haider June 26, 2017 / 2:35 pm

you wrote it write. i at least 10 times a day ask my self these questions.
    thanks for sharing!!
    ❤ ❤

18. Alexis Rose June 26, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Thank You E. yes, these questions were running rampant this weekend as I was really and truly enjoying the summer weather. I wonder if it is trauma related or if people with no trauma feel this too? More women than men? Im just not sure. Thank You so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Have a great Monday. 😊

19. E June 26, 2017 / 1:18 pm

I’m pretty sure it’s my forehead wrinkles running off friends in droves. Haha. This is great. I wrestled with similar questions this weekend. It’s led me to wonder if certain traumas remove inherent self worth and whether there’s anything we can do uniformly or individually, to restore our sense of wholeness. Helpful reading as always.

20. Alexis Rose June 26, 2017 / 1:15 pm

Cannot even begin to tell you how much I appreciate this comment. This is one of those publish, dont publish, no one will relate stomach turning writes. Hahahaha…thats the story I told myself as I hit publish. Thank You so much for sharing that you ask yourself these questions too! 😊

21. tarnishedsoul June 26, 2017 / 1:12 pm

oh my gosh this is so incredibly deep.
    I ask myself questions like these quite often and I always come up with answers that are not conducive to well-being. I’m working on changing that, but sometimes it is tough.