Resting In My Thinking Place

I have found myself deep inside that thinking place of mine.  I don’t dwell here very often. I believe it’s because for the past eight years I have been in a constant a constant battle with my PTSD, setting a goal, or “doing” growth and change.  I haven’t allowed myself to just sit and think for a while. When I write, I will let the words or ideas simmer, rest, then make changes, but even that seems active and doing on my part.

Resting in my thinking place I have been pondering change. Change is a fact of life. Our bodies change, as do our cognitive abilities. Our circumstances change, the weather changes and so do the seasons. We change our minds, our clothes and our cell phones. Sometimes we embrace change, but sometimes change can be frightening. The fear of the unknown and the anticipation of what could be, can be paralyzing; the feeling of vulnerability can prevent us from moving forward.

But change is inevitable. There are unforeseen events that occur daily. Some may feel insignificant or be a nuisance such as a flat tire. Some are as life-altering as the diagnosis of cancer. Even then, we have the ability to choose how we handle the challenges in our lives. We can use the momentum of change to keep growing as a person.

Since I was diagnosed with PTSD, I have had to change almost everything about my life. I had to learn how to cope with this debilitating illness, adjust to the dramatic change in my financial situation, deal with horrific and terrifying memories that were quickly filling in the blanks of my past, and accept that my ability to be self-sufficient in most aspects of my everyday life was severely limited.

I realize that nothing stays constant and there is always change. In the context of what I am writing about,  I believe there are two kinds of change. One is the inevitable events that occur on a daily basis. The other kind of change is mindful and purposeful. It takes courage to work through both. It is a courageous person who is willing to work through their past and knit it together with who they are now.

I no longer wanted my past to dictate my present day life. The effects of my trauma sometimes dictate my everyday life, but I can tease apart the difference. I made a conscious effort to understand the past, feel for myself with the same kind of compassion I would have for others and integrate who I was, with who I am now, and who I am striving to become. I take full responsibility for my life, and that brings a sense of freedom and empowerment. With that freedom brings a calmness to understanding that all things change, it’s inevitable and that is part of living a very lived life.

As I think about all the change I have been through the past eight years, and acknowledge how huge this undertaking has been, allowing myself to feel tired, introspective, and content, I can rest in my thinking place. I’m not sure what happens next…I’ll have to think about that.

image source: pixabay

22 thoughts on “Resting In My Thinking Place

1. Alexis Rose June 24, 2017 / 7:43 pm

Thank You! I feel the exact same when I read your posts. I think we are both moving forward as hard as that is and fine a place where we fit in and are useful the way we want to be. Have a wonderful weekend my friend.

2. Chaplain Doll June 24, 2017 / 5:45 pm

Thanks for another great post, I have found myself making the hard decisions not to allow my PTSD to control my life. It is a difficult journey and your words and experiences serve as an encouragement for me.

3. mia_haider June 24, 2017 / 7:01 am

This is a great post i must say. you always have the write words to describe your emotions, your feelings. i always love to read your blog so.. Hats of to you!!
    πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’œπŸ’™
    with all the love,
    Maneeha.
    Mia

4. Christy B June 24, 2017 / 12:52 am

You say that you want to live a “lived life” and I think you will, judging from what I’ve just read. You have courage indeed!

5. Liz June 23, 2017 / 8:48 pm

Loved reading this post too and how your words came across, I could also nearly feel your thoughts. X

6. Laina Eartharcher June 23, 2017 / 7:33 pm

You’re very welcome, my pretty 😊😊. So well-deserved πŸ’“πŸ’“

7. Alexis Rose June 23, 2017 / 3:45 pm

Thank You! I love the bad ass description. And soup for the soul warms my heart. Thank you so much for reading and commenting. Have a great weekend! πŸ’•

8. Alexis Rose June 23, 2017 / 3:43 pm

Thank You, and thank you for reblogging this post too. ❀️

9. Alexis Rose June 23, 2017 / 3:41 pm

Oh this means a lot to me. Thank you so, so much. πŸ’•πŸ’•

10. twinkletoes2017 June 23, 2017 / 2:08 pm

This was lovely to read. Well done for being able to acknowledge all of these thoughts and stay detached enough not to let them take over… I agree with you that “It is a courageous person who is willing to work through their past and knit it together with who they are now” and that makes you bad ass!!! This was very uplifting to read. Like soup for the soul. I am happy for you. Enjoy your day and weekend x

11. Laina Eartharcher June 23, 2017 / 2:05 pm

This is such a wonderful piece. I admire your calm, cautious courage and inner strength. Over the months I’ve been following your blog, I’ve come to regard you as a role model of sorts, an example of how I’d like to be. I don’t always say much, but I read regularly and I just thought I should speak up for once πŸ˜‰ and let you know that πŸ’“πŸ’“

12. jennymarie4 June 23, 2017 / 1:58 pm

Wonderful post! It takes time and a lot of introspection to get to the point where you are now. Beautifully written and well said! 🌷