A Finished Manuscript

Two years ago today as my fingers were steadily typing out the words flowing from my brain, I stood up, heart beating like a hummingbird, started doing a dance to the tempo of the sound of the keyboard strokes and exclaimed, “I think this is the last paragraph.” My memoir was done. A huge milestone, an incredible accomplishment.

When it was published a few months later (after the grueling editing process) I set a goal to sell a certain number of books in two years. I am 13 books away from that goal. I’m so excited. When the book release anniversary date comes around, I will update you if I made that goal. But this close to reaching that goal on this very special day brings back that wonderful feeling I had when the manuscript was completed.  Thank-You, to all of you who have read Untangled, told your friends/family to read it, and shared it on your blogs. I continue to be humbled and full of gratitude for the incredible support and positive reviews.

Enjoy, the Introduction from Untangled, A Story of Resilience, Courage, and Triumph

My body is streaked with sweat and dirt from my desperate search to find safe shelter. I’m barefoot, in a grimy torn t-shirt and shorts; my hands and feet caked with dirt. My hair is filthy and matted. My mouth is dry; I can smell and taste the gritty dust that hangs in the air. I sit down on a curb at the side of the road, and I know it’s over.

I’m unbelievably weary, all my energy spent in the act of sitting down. I’m devastated…emotionally, mentally, and physically, and the worst of my wounds are invisible. My eyes fill up, but no tears fall. I can only sit amid the rubble, trying to trust the safety of the gray, silent sky.

Six years later, the scene has changed. I’m no longer living in fear of the tangled web of sadistic people who use threats to keep their victims terrified and questioning their sanity. I feel grateful. The therapist that I call my Sherpa is sitting next to me. He’s listened to and witnessed my entire story, and never deserted me. He understands my journey and sometimes shares my grief. He’s helped me honor my resilience; taught me the value of telling my story and the importance of just sitting with my truth. So we sit here together, quietly resting in that truth.

I’ve fully remembered and told the story of my first twenty years, of surviving the abuse, neglect, abandonment, and fear. I’ve left behind those who terrorized me. I’ve untangled myself. My courage has set me free, and now nothing can keep me tied to the past. I can truly live today with blinders off and eyes wide open.

Featured Image -- 1269

27 thoughts on “A Finished Manuscript

1. rabbitpatchdiary.com June 11, 2017 / 5:57 pm

congratulations! What a hge accomplishment and one to be proud of-best wishes for more success!

2. Alexis Rose June 9, 2017 / 10:55 am

Thank You, Miriam. I really appreciate this. I hope you enjoy the book. ❤️

3. Miriam June 9, 2017 / 10:50 am

Congratulations Alexis, not just on publishing your book but rising through such adversity. I can’t wait to read your book. 💖

4. PatchworkKat June 9, 2017 / 12:27 am

Reblogged this on The Patchwork Diaries and commented:
    One of my favorite bloggers is incredibly close to reaching her sales goal. Check out her posts here, and also consider buying her book. Just 13 more!

5. PatchworkKat June 9, 2017 / 12:26 am

That’s awesome!! Congratulations on being so close to your sales goal!!

6. Alexis Rose June 8, 2017 / 7:05 pm

Thank You Brigid. I feel the same for you and Watching the Daisies. I recommend your book to people often. ❤️

7. Alexis Rose June 8, 2017 / 7:04 pm

Thank You! Im sorry it is not on audible, but it is on kindle. xx

8. watchingthedaisies June 8, 2017 / 6:14 pm

I am so thrilled you have published your book and done so well Alexis. You deserve the best. 😍😍😍

9. manyofus1980 June 8, 2017 / 6:03 pm

alexis I will buy this book as soon as I can, is it in audio or not, if not i’ll purchase the kindle version, think about putting it on audible though, for visually impaired people? xoxo

10. Alexis Rose June 8, 2017 / 2:05 pm

Thank You so much! I say with A Big smile on my face! 🤗

11. taurusingemini June 8, 2017 / 1:35 pm

This would be an important milestone in your life, congrats on surpassing it, and I know how difficult it can get, to tell our stories, without reserves.

12. Alexis Rose June 8, 2017 / 12:52 pm

Thank You! 😊 Yes, Untangled is available on Kindle. Thank You in advance. ❤️

13. touched2mysoul June 8, 2017 / 12:51 pm

You rock! Gonna download the book if it’s available on Kindle. I applaud you for telling your story….keep being a light in the world of darkness!

14. Alexis Rose June 8, 2017 / 11:53 am

Thank You, so so much for letting me know you are reading it. Keep reading…remember there is triumph! Jason supported me so, so much! He is incredible.

15. First Night Design June 8, 2017 / 11:41 am

I’m halfway through and gobsmacked by the horror of what you went through. To hell and back doesn’t even begin to describe it. Untangled is unputdownable and I’m so glad Jason Cushman introduced me to you and your book. x