Finding Peace in your Inner Landscape

An inner landscape is a life you lead inside of yourself; a place no one else can go unless invited. Although it looks different for each of us, all inner landscapes have this in common: they are a place of refuge. If you look deep enough, you will be able to find the images in your mind of your inner landscape; your own place of power and peace.

Today is a day where being able to tap into my inner landscape and find peace is how I need to stay grounded.

My inner landscape is multi-dimensional and serves more than one purpose depending on how I need to restore, rest, empower and breathe. One part of my inner landscape is a field of flowers. That’s where I go when I need to feel at peace. It’s a place where I can rest and restore my inner resources because I feel safe and protected there, with very little noise coming from my busy monkey-mind that tends to nag at me during the day.

Mostly my inner landscape is peaceful, warm and sunny; although, I also have a cliff I go to that is rugged and barren. There in one leaf-less tree there with a few wisps of grass growing up around it, but otherwise it is bare. The cliff is jagged, gray and very rocky with the sound of a turbulent sea splashing thunderous waves against the rocks. That’s the inner landscape I go to when my life is stormy and I’m dealing with challenges that I’m not quite ready to confront.

When I’m there, I hear my inner voice of self-doubt, self-judgement, and shame. It’s a place I go to when I know I need to look at things about myself that are comfortably uncomfortable but I’m not yet ready to change. I sit on the edge of my cliff and listen to the water crashing up against the rocks. Even though it is a place I go to when my life is stormy, I love my rocky cliffs and the crashing water that surrounds me.

My inner landscape is different from my happy place.

My happy place is where I go to help me face the typical stresses of daily life. Sitting in a traffic jam, going to the dentist, standing in a long line sends me to my happy place. That quick take a deep breath to stave off the frustration place that we go to. My inner landscape is a place I go to for reflection. A place where I go deep inside of myself.

Can you visualize your inner landscape, your own place where of power and peace?

photo: google images

21 thoughts on “Finding Peace in your Inner Landscape

1. Alexis Rose May 7, 2017 / 11:10 pm

Oh John, this sounds wonderful! A peaceful inner landscape!

2. Over Thinker John May 7, 2017 / 9:07 pm

On a beach, basking in the sun. Deeply inhaling the ocean air and getting lost in its fragrance. The steady breeze putting me at ease, then into calmness to reflect on how great it feels to lose myself in it.

3. Alexis Rose May 7, 2017 / 2:03 pm

Thank You, Brigid. I love the image of an angel healing room. Just instantly made me exhale. The leaves have just really popped out this weekend. I have some brilliant crab apple trees that are stunning against the green trees and grass. Finally, spring has taken hold. It sure helps with our health doesn’t it! Love to you! ❤️

4. watchingthedaisies May 7, 2017 / 1:55 pm

A beautiful post Alexis. I go to my angel healing room these days. I love the idea of a field of flowers. I am sitting outside right now on a warm sunny day and I am incredibly thankful for the sun on my skin…

5. Alexis Rose May 1, 2017 / 9:23 pm

Mine is the lovely May Day followed soon by the spring full moon. Ya’ know, triggers triggers everywhere. 😬

6. summerSHINES May 1, 2017 / 9:16 pm

A bad one huh? 😔 Poor lovely Xx I’ve been grumpy. Period time 😤😤😤

7. bone&silver May 1, 2017 / 7:51 pm

Wow, I never thought of having a stormy place to go to when disturbed! Thanks, & all beautifully described too

8. J Z May 1, 2017 / 7:38 pm

Hmmm. I don’t have both. I only have one place where I go to stave off PTSD symptoms and flashbacks. No other.