Mindfulness and My PTSD

I titled this post, Mindfulness practice, and My PTSD because I think both a mindfulness practice and an illness can look different for each individual. While the list of symptoms may be similar when it comes to being diagnosed, I have come to find out that the severity of the symptoms, the severity of the trauma, and how each person experiences living with their PTSD can vary greatly. My therapist taught me that, the wonderful group of survivors I have contact with taught me that, and the sometimes unrelenting chokehold of some of my symptoms have taught me that. I imagine it’s the same for most chronic illness’s but I can only speak to the one that I deal with on a daily basis.

I have had a very steady and intentional mindfulness practice for the last twenty years. I started it years ago when I needed to change the way I was dealing with tremendous stress and hopelessness. I had two very young children at the time and needed to find a way to stay present when all I wanted to do was run away physically, emotionally, and mentally. Twenty years ago, mindfulness was not mainstream, but that didn’t matter to me. I quietly sought out teachers, read books, and practiced what I learned. It became a way of life for me and I found in the silence of my struggle it kept me steady and fairly calm.

Eight years ago, when my brain/mind/body/soul could not hold in my repressed past any longer and I was diagnosed with complex PTSD my mindfulness practice went to hell. I could no longer sit for more than one or two minutes without my memories, distress, fear, and shame, kicking in and sending me into a panic. It seemed the more I told myself, breathe in-breathe out, I would follow that up with a panic attack that lasted much longer than a short meditation practice would have lasted. So I gave up the idea of meditating. I also had a strong yoga practice but felt a surge of anger course through me every time I tried to settle into a resting or restorative pose. I was fortunate to have a wonderful teacher at the time. He pulled me aside one day and told me that sometimes in life yoga tells you to take a break. It’s about listening to what your mind and body are telling you. He assured me that one day, I would be able to come back to it and that I hadn’t failed. He was correct, I did come back to a yoga practice.

I try to honor being awake. The connectedness we have to all things, the impermanence of the moments both perfect and non-perfect, the beauty and wonder and power of being present. Except that my symptoms bring me back to the past. It’s what PTSD does, it’s the nature of the illness. So trying to live in the present and being flashbacked to the past is quite uncomfortable and very frustrating.

Many people have said to me, let it go, it’s in the past, you are safe now, etc.  I get it, I understand what they are saying, I understand the place from where those words of encouragement come from and still that isn’t what this is about.  The nature of PTSD, the nature of how the illness affects me, is that it won’t let me forget the past. In my mindfulness practice, my mind doesn’t just acknowledge it and let it go. Although, I can let it go after I have experienced the symptom, but that’s after it causes quite a stir in mind.

When I try to ignore my symptoms, I often end up in a state of mind I would rather not participate in any longer. It brings me to the brink of crisis, which is a place I have worked hard and developed many skills and tools to avert. I’m trying to come to terms with working with my symptoms instead of fighting them and also living the mindful and intentional life I choose.

I feel that I’m finding my way, I’m working diligently to have both. I’m learning to acknowledge that this is not an either/or situation. I have relentless symptoms that I deal with on a daily basis, but that doesn’t mean I can’t live in the present. Even if my present is uncomfortable, I’m not in a situation where I am physically in harm’s way any longer. My mind and body forget that sometimes, but if I continue to practice staying present and being mindful of my thoughts when I’m not being triggered I find it’s easier to come out of that out-of-control feeling when I do get triggered.

I will continue the practice of mindfulness and pay attention to the present. I will continue to learn and grow, but I’m also going to acknowledge that sometimes it’s a struggle to stay present when my illness catapults me to the past. Perhaps that’s part of being mindful.

image source: Pixabay

33 thoughts on “Mindfulness and My PTSD

1. Alexis Rose July 7, 2017 / 3:18 pm

Thank You for sharing this with me Jacqueline. Yes, we think intuitively that mindfulness is the answer for everything (depending on the definition). I think it good to be mindful, but a sitting meditation is sometimes not the best idea depending on whats going on emotionally. I love that there is so much research going on in this area. Good luck with your training. 💕

2. My go-to Mindfulness July 7, 2017 / 3:07 pm

Hi, Alexis, I was really touched by your honest post. I’m training to be a mindfulness teacher and one of the first things we were told was that if people are in the middle of a depressive episode, or struggling to come to terms with emotions, then it may not be the best time for mindfulness. Meanwhile, treat yourself kindly as you would a hurt friend, with self-compassion – you deserve it. Take care. Jacqueline

3. Brakes For Beauty May 19, 2017 / 10:40 pm

Love this. Being mindful is one of the hardest things to do in a society that’s taught us to multitask rather than focus on one thing at a time.

4. lovinginthelight May 16, 2017 / 6:37 pm

Thank you for sharing. I practice mindfulness in a similar way. It’s lovely to know that the technique helps so many x

5. Alexis Rose March 21, 2017 / 2:19 am

We have so much in common with the struggle to heal. But, the fact that we both want to continue the journey and finding a way to be present is huge. Balance is a practice everyday for me. I know you’ll find peace. ❤

6. Secret Keeper March 21, 2017 / 2:04 am

“My task right now is to learn to live with my flashbacks, becoming overwhelmed, triggers, and sense of fear that still are very much part of my day. But, I also want to live mindfully and intentionally. This seems so incongruent and at odds sometimes, a paradox. I wonder if the desire of how I want to live will always be shadowed by how I have to cope day to day with my PTSD. Can the two of them find a middle ground?”

This is my task as well. My memories are surfacing and they are taking a toll. I want to be present again for my children. I don’t want me being dragged under by the terror to affect them in any negative manner anymore. I need a mindfulness practice. I need to find something to help me pull myself out and be present in my day. Not to take the thoughts away, because I believe they need to come out but to get to a point where i can say “I am ok. This is not now.” and set them aside to sort through later. I want to stop wanting to hide away. I need to find balance in the most serious way! Thank you for sharing this part of your experience. It is so helpful to read through your journey.

7. Alexis Rose March 13, 2017 / 10:58 am

Thanks for your comment. That is great news for your daughter!! Yes, writing has been a huge tool, publishing my book was one of the best things I’ve done, and my continued writing on my blog and other projects helps tremendously. 😊

8. shirleyjdietz March 13, 2017 / 10:39 am

Learning about this from my daughter who has PTSD and anxiety. She also has some mindfulness routines, loves Pema Chodron, and is making progress. What helped her immensely was ECT. The flashbacks stopped immediately. As you must know, writing is also a great way to process. Keep doing it.

9. Opinionated Man March 12, 2017 / 5:02 pm

Reblogged this on HarsH ReaLiTy and commented:
    Another great post from Alexis as she shares her story!
    Note: Comments disabled here. Please visit their blog.

10. Alexis Rose March 11, 2017 / 9:16 pm

Thank You, Christy. I really appreciate your feedback and supportive comment. Have a wonderful weekend! 😊

11. Christy B March 11, 2017 / 7:35 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. I think your doing so will help so many who have their own flashbacks and other struggles associated with PTSD. May you continue to heal.

12. Alexis Rose March 10, 2017 / 9:06 pm

I love your insight snd encouragement. Thank You!! 💕

13. Peaceful Journey March 10, 2017 / 8:19 pm

I often find myself a champion for self-help, encouraging others, offering a better way of seeing things, and advise, but I am also realistic enough to know the battle with PTSD should not be taken for granted as though one can simply encourage him or herself and everything will be alright. Like any illness or challenge, there are other systemic or underlying causal factors which are deeply rooted and takes times; thus, these factors may require more extensive therapy and care. I’m happy you understand those who encourage means well, but I like that you are honest with yourself and understand your journey. You are aware you are moving further away from the pit you were in, and while the dark places pull at you, you are more than an overcomer and that is what matters the most. I felt reaching out to you and compelled to say, we are your cheerleaders from the sideline. It’s your journey, therefore do what is best for you.

14. Alexis Rose March 10, 2017 / 8:06 pm

Thank You, Terry. I think its such an ebb and flow thing depending on where we are at in our lives. It can become one of those “shoulds” sometimes for me and then I get cranky at the whole idea of mindfulness. Us humans are funny creatures arent we! You have a great weekend. Keep being you. You (and Gary) are loved my friend. 🤗

15. Alexis Rose March 10, 2017 / 7:54 pm

Thank You! My book sitting in Scotland makes me feel very happy. I’ll travel vicariously through my book. Have a wonderful weekend my friend! ❤❤

16. spearfruit March 10, 2017 / 7:45 pm

Alexis, I have a post soon about my mindfulness meditation – or lack of it. I believe it helped me in the past, but because of my health I have gotten out of the habit And this is the time I really need it – thank you for this post. Hope you have a great weekend. 🙂

17. Courage Coaching March 10, 2017 / 7:04 pm

It sounds like you are doing your absolute best to cope with your PTSD my friend..I will keep you in my thoughts and I hope that you can cherish those mindful, peaceful moments more and more..Your book has arrived in Scotland and I will look forward to reading it end of the month when I am there. Much love to you xx

18. Alexis Rose March 10, 2017 / 6:53 pm

Wonderful. I love reading Pema Chodron. Thank You for the insight. 🙂

19. @vapor_sage March 10, 2017 / 6:45 pm

From my experience with mindfulness, it is through practice, that those feelings are allowed to arise. Pema Chodron’s instruction in The Places that Scare You has been instrumental in teaching me to be with uncomfortable feelings.

20. watchingthedaisies March 10, 2017 / 5:20 pm

Alexis every post you write helps others on their journey. I feel very blessed to follow your journey. 😇

21. Alexis Rose March 10, 2017 / 2:51 pm

Thank You for honesty, Mark. Im so sorry for the physical issues you have to cope with, along with the emotional scars that are left from trauma. You are absolutely right that more research needs to be done in this. Im hoping as more people speak about it, it helps destigmatize the struggle a bit. My email is atribeuntangled@gmail.com. I will go visit your blog today too.

22. mark kent March 10, 2017 / 2:45 pm

i get your blog. I WAS VERY ABUSED AND BULLIEDhow can ANY BODY say it is in the past ..no way.PEOPLE do NOT see the EVERY DAY
    Effects of say sexual abuse..I, HAVE M,E. //BLADDER AND BOWEL PROBLEMS BECAUSE I WAS SEXUALLY ABUSED..research is very
    very rare on this subject .really needs lot more.if you would like too reply PLEASE DO .i,do a blog details below.i,am disabled long list health
    problems.would like you too talk about how you cope //deal with it.,.what helps what does not help and why// mark

23. Alexis Rose March 10, 2017 / 2:21 pm

Thank You! I have chills from reading your comment. It feels really good (hmmm, is that okay to say out loud?) when someone absolutely gets the feeling of being dragged under. I wish you didn’t have to feel that way, as I know you wish the same for me. And, we will keep fighting to be a new version of okay as we deal with our PTSD. Have a good weekend!

24. smboney March 10, 2017 / 2:14 pm

Very true about trying to live in the present but being pulled back into the past. I have Combat PTSD so I know whole heartedly what you’re talking about. I’m working with a doctor at the VA practicing mindfulness, it’s hard and it takes time to get used to doing it, especially when your past is right smack dab in your face and you feel like the world is trying to drag you under. Keep working on getting better, its a work in progress.