The metamorphosis of your personal legend

The topic of transformation, metamorphosis, growth, change, (insert whatever word works for your personal journey) has been front and center for me lately. I like to bring up the things that are hard to talk about. Most of us want to grow and change.  It’s hard, no one said it was going to be easy. But rarely do people talk about the absolute pain one feels when emotional wounds get ripped open in order to process, heal and grow. It’s a lonely journey because no one else can go inside of you and heal those wounds or take away the rawness. You have to be the one to do it. However, it certainly doesn’t have to be an “alone” journey. We can find therapists, support groups, friends, family, books, even blogs so we are surrounded by the support we need. In fact, I think it’s imperative to find people who absolutely “get it” and can relate with empathy when we are in the process of transforming, and becoming the person we want to be.

And really, it doesn’t have to be a shattered past that motivates a person to grow and change. Growth and change are important to do for the rest of our lives. Some people may find themselves in a spiritual crossroads, some people may find themselves feeling empty after years dedicated to a career, and some people are simply unable to feel content, knowing that there is some road not yet taken that is calling for them to explore. Whatever the motivation, the transformation to a new way of being from the inside out is painful and sometimes scary.

I have said to a few people, that I believe if we could interview a caterpillar as they transform into a butterfly and ask them, how it feels, they would tell us it is excruciatingly painful. They are completely changing from the inside out. The end result is beautiful….Butterflies are beautiful!

I know what I had to do in order to heal the wounds of my past. I knew what I wanted my internal life to look like, and I made a commitment to myself that I was going to do it. I wasn’t prepared for the loneliness of the journey.  But that’s okay with me. I understand it, and I want to talk about it. No one can fix it, it’s part of the deal.

When I feel that pain of loneliness, I remember why I chose to dig up the past, process what happened, understand my PTSD, find others who are also on a healing journey, and remind myself, the metamorphosis of a personal legend begins when you accept who you were, who you are now, and who you will be.

alexis-rose-1

©Alexis Rose, photo: Shelley Bauer

Featured Image -- 1269

32 thoughts on “The metamorphosis of your personal legend

1. Alexis Rose June 3, 2017 / 5:58 pm

Thank You so much for sharing where you are in your healing journey right now. I love feedback and comment. Thank You for the reblog! 😃

2. B June 3, 2017 / 5:52 pm

Beautifully written. I’m in a healing process and hell it hurts! It almost feels like a re-birth. It’s difficult to cut off our routines and the people we got used to for the sake of growth.. but eventually it feels so rewarding. I find surrounding myself with real people filled with scars that are willing to sacrifice anything for their personal growth very helpful.. well written.. reblogged

3. Alexis Rose February 11, 2017 / 4:20 pm

Thank You! That really means a lot to me. ❤

4. Lady Serene February 11, 2017 / 3:54 pm

Wow. I really needed to see this post. Your words are a great help to many. Thank you. ❤

5. Alexis Rose February 7, 2017 / 3:53 pm

Wow. Thats so interesting. I hid in the shadows until my book came out.

6. Alexis Rose February 7, 2017 / 3:31 pm

awesome, Thank You!! I read that on the couple of pages of your book just now. It’s a small world isn’t it. Who would think Michigan. right?

7. Bonsai February 7, 2017 / 3:27 pm

Oh I post a review last fall! It opened my eyes! We are of the same generation and I’m from Michigan too.

8. Alexis Rose February 7, 2017 / 3:25 pm

Just purchased your book and will start this afternoon. You may have already posted a review for Untangled If not I would love it if you could do that. (The most uncomfortable question every author asks 🤗) I look forward to your email.

9. Bonsai February 7, 2017 / 3:21 pm

Thank you Alexis. Your book was inspirational to me. I will be sending you a bunch of questions this weekend!

10. Alexis Rose February 7, 2017 / 3:19 pm

Congratulations!!!! This is such awesome news. It sounds like you are selling a lot and thats a lot of reviews in just a few months. I’ll purchase your book and write a 5 star review for you on Amazon. I feel really strongly about helping each other out.
    Feel free to ask me questions via email at atribeuntangled@gmail.com

11. Bonsai February 7, 2017 / 12:00 pm

Alexis I’ve wanted to reach out to you again for awhile. After reading your story I was inspired to self-publish The Six-Foot Bonsai. It has been out just three months now and so far things are going pretty well overall. Perhaps I’ve sold 175 copies in one form or another, and I have around 25 reviews I think…all pretty good really. But most importantly I want to make a difference for people in two distinct ways. First and foremost I want people to understand that they should never place a culture, fad or any man-made thing above all else…above God. And secondly, Japan has a very serious problem with “cute” or cutie culture– an obsession with young girls and this the effects of this was devastating for my family. These messages should be recognized by someone in a position to use my material, but getting through to the right person/people has been challenging. What have you been doing outside of the blog to tell your story. I’d so much like your advice as I think we are in a similar position. One issue for me is that I work a more than a full time job so my personal time is limited. Thank you in advance for your time!

12. Miriam February 3, 2017 / 2:26 am

You’re right Alexis, we’re all on our own journey of growth and whilst it might feel like we’re walking it alone it definitely helps to know we have the support of others. Warmest wishes to you. xo

13. Alexis Rose February 2, 2017 / 3:40 am

Thank you so much. Im glad the timing was good too. Have a wonderful evening. 💕

14. Chill Out Keep Calm and Breathe February 2, 2017 / 1:17 am

I love the description about the change of a caterpillar into a butterfly.. a unique way to look at pain as a transition into something better than it is now for some. Well that’s how I read it and after reading it, I hope for. Beautifully put Alexis.. It’s extremely apt for me at the moment.. Thank you for sharing .. xoxo

15. Alexis Rose February 2, 2017 / 12:30 am

Thanks You Nancy. Where should I submit it? That sounds intriguing.

16. Nancy J February 2, 2017 / 12:01 am

Alexis, this is so well put and resonates with me. This article is a source of encouragement, conviction, empathy, and exhortation. You should submit this. It will help many people no matter what their story be. Thank you for sharing.

17. Alexis Rose February 1, 2017 / 8:02 pm

Wonderful. It must be the way the wind is blowing this week. 🤗

18. K E Garland February 1, 2017 / 7:37 pm

Just read someone else’s post about why being alone is so important for knowing and loving one’s self. This seems to be the perfect follow up ❤

19. watchingthedaisies February 1, 2017 / 3:34 pm

I love your description of the caterpillar becoming a butterfly. You sure have earned those wings Alexis.😊😊😊

20. Alexis Rose January 31, 2017 / 10:38 pm

Thank You so much! Your support means so much to me. 💕❤

21. Alexis Rose January 31, 2017 / 9:16 pm

Thank You. Your feedback means so much to me. 💕❤🤗

22. Courage Coaching January 31, 2017 / 8:51 pm

Such an important post. I love the journey of growth from caterpillar to butterfly. Nature is beautiful in so many ways! I can relate to how lonely the journey of transformation can be, especially with all the pain..Thank you for sharing this! 💗💗🐛🦋

23. Buffy Devane January 31, 2017 / 7:38 pm

Yes it would indeed be great! And me too… I suppose that’s where a degree of blind faith has to guide us — and an appreciation that we can’t fully understand/appreciate everything about our lives immediately.

24. Alexis Rose January 31, 2017 / 7:29 pm

Thank You! Yes, Wouldn’t it be great if we could go through the muck without the pain? Im just glad we’re willing to go through it and see whats on the other side. 😊

25. Buffy Devane January 31, 2017 / 5:59 pm

This is very well expressed, Alexis. Thank you for sharing it. 🙂
    It’s interesting to me how the terrible pains of growth often go hand in hand with a [subsequent] almost profound gratitude… though admittedly it’s something I’m still trying to work out [!]

26. Alexis Rose January 31, 2017 / 3:19 pm

Thank You! Yes, I have an amazing support system. I like that idea in angel/guides. Very comforting. 🙂

27. SpiritualJourney17 January 31, 2017 / 3:03 pm

You may feel like you’re alone, but there is a large group of beings surrounding you everyday (if you believe in angels/guides). This journey of internal healing is not easy. Stay strong.