Pitching a Movie Idea with a Beginners Mind

Beginners Mind refers to having an attitude of openness, eagerness, staying full of curiosity and wonder.

I have tried and been fairly successful with staying in a beginners mind when it came to writing, publishing, and marketing my books. Especially with Untangled. Not only because it’s my memoir, but because I understood the gratitude I would feel each time someone purchased the book and read it. It’s been sixteen months since Untangled has been published. Not only do I feel gratitude at the way the book has grown legs, but I feel extremely humbled by the feedback I receive from readers. My hope is that the book continues to reach more people every day.

When I decided to self-publish Untangled, it was because I wanted control of the voice in my book, I wanted all the rights and I wasn’t willing to bend on any of that. I worked closely with my editor to make sure that happened, contentious moments sometimes spent over a word. My editor was doing her job, and I was stubborn, but also learned that part of this process is to be flexible and listen. I read, went to workshops, consulted with experts on what is the best way to market my book and what platform I should use to publish it. I listened to many ideas, and let go of the one’s didn’t resonate with me. With each statement of how hard it is to get a book into readers hands, I simply said, “why wouldn’t people want to read this book?” I kept an attitude of openness, I was eager to market the book in a way that I could handle and to this day I am in wonder at how well it sells.

For the past five months, my collaborating partner and I have worked on a (treatment? pitch? screenplay outline?) for a movie loosely based on Untangled. It keeps the heart of the book, we see her dealing with, living, surviving and trying to thrive with her PTSD, but the movie form is an intense thriller taking place across both the United States and many parts of the world. It’s different, exciting and of course, has a great ending.

We have been extremely fortunate that people have taken an interest in our movie. We have had two meetings and will have another one today. We have been lucky that people have been willing to say, I know the assistant to the person (who produces all the ____ movies). Maybe, that assistant will talk to his boss, maybe not. What matters to us, is that people have taken an active interest and continued to cheer us on, as we worked diligently to create something interesting, exciting and inspirational.

Yesterday, driving home from a meeting, after hearing the business side of movie making, next steps to take, and the prohibitive costs of having something to pitch, it could have been a sobering, throw in the towel experience.  My partner looked at me, and said,” We are so lucky that we have a beginners mind. We can do this, there are a lot of ways to go about this, we aren’t in the business and haven’t been jaded, and we aren’t afraid to hear, no.” We have a great concept, a great detailed movie outline; literally, someone can read our 50 pages, plus the character outline and see the movie come to life. Someone will say yes, and someone will option to make this film.

My partner and I have an attitude of openness, eagerness, staying full of curiosity and wonder as we continue to try and make contacts. Will it be a lot of work? I hope so! This passionate project has already been a lot of work, and we are committed to sharing the message that no matter what happens to a person (a real-life person), even if they live with sometimes debilitating PTSD, they can get help, and have a life. There is no sugar coating in our movie, but just like Alexis in real life, there is a resiliency and stubborn hopefulness that leaves the audience feeling resolved after a wild and thrilling ride.

We will continue to try to stay in our Beginners Mind as we pitch this movie. Look for it on a screen near you…it’s going to happen…why not?

popcorn-1433331_1920

Featured Image -- 1269Thank you for reading my memoir, Untangled, A Story of Resilience, Courage, and Triumph

37 thoughts on “Pitching a Movie Idea with a Beginners Mind

1. shelie27 January 22, 2017 / 10:36 pm

I’m happy for you, and the story. I think your story will make a great movie!

2. J L Hunt January 22, 2017 / 9:30 pm

How wonderfully exciting for you 🙂

3. Alexis Rose January 22, 2017 / 2:50 pm

Thank You!! And thank you for reblogging my post, Jason 😊

4. Opinionated Man January 22, 2017 / 2:01 pm

Reblogged this on HarsH ReaLiTy and commented:
    What an exciting idea! I hope it all works out! -OM
    Note: Comments disabled here. Please visit their blog.

5. ADaughtersHero January 18, 2017 / 5:44 am

Good luck, Alexis, sounds amazing! I hope it all turns out in just the way you are hoping!❤

6. Alexis Rose January 16, 2017 / 9:00 pm

Oh No!! Thats such a bummer! Im so sorry that happened. I learned with writing my book back it up and then back it up again on another flash drive. Hopefully your movie will be made.

7. joliesattic January 16, 2017 / 8:53 pm

Oh! Not in this case. They were very interested but I had to learn an important lesson first. Back up your project. Just as I was getting ready to send it off to them, my computer crashed and I lost it. Since the rewrite, several other films have come out that follow the same theme. I’ve not been able to change it enough to create something unique or that stands out, at least to my liking, so there it sits.

8. Alexis Rose January 16, 2017 / 7:20 pm

So did someone pick up your project? Im intrigued and cant wait to hear more. Im not in L.A., Im in MN. 😊

9. joliesattic January 16, 2017 / 6:03 pm

You couldn’t be more right. I was once told that I must not look like a newbie but by the same token that can work to your advantage. My best pitch was as a newbie and even though some of the producers saw it right away, none were put off by it. If you are in LA, this workshop is coming up soon… http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=f8a7a0919160c772b8bc3d331&id=fffcfb16b7&e=c0e9db2126
    This is in regard to the legal issues you may encounter. I’ve taken one like it before and it’s worthwhile. It is held at CBS Studios in Studio City. Good luck!!! And CYA!

10. Alexis Rose January 15, 2017 / 3:24 am

Thank You, Nancy. Its a huge learning curve, but what the heck, Im up for the challenge. Sleep well my friend. xx!!

11. Nancy J January 15, 2017 / 12:42 am

I pray it comes to fruition. It is a story that needs to be told. You rarely, almost never, hear about ritual abuse. It would be an eye-opener for the public and bring awareness to this atrocity.

12. Alexis Rose January 14, 2017 / 9:35 pm

Thank You. Yes, some days it is a challenge FOR sure!!!! 😃

13. K E Garland January 14, 2017 / 8:53 pm

Congratulations on a new venture! Yes, I believe having a beginner’s mind does make living life a little easier/simpler. It is challenging on some days though lol

14. Alexis Rose January 14, 2017 / 6:34 pm

Thank You! Its been an amazing ride the past few days. 😊

15. Alexis Rose January 14, 2017 / 6:34 pm

Thank You so much for reblogging this post, Don. I really appreciate it.

16. Don Massenzio January 14, 2017 / 3:51 pm

Reblogged this on Don Massenzio's Blog and commented:
    For authors wanting to take that scary step into movies, here is a great post from Alexis Rose from the A Tribe Untangled blog

17. Alexis Rose January 14, 2017 / 3:21 am

Wow, thank you for this tip. I will check it out this weekend. Thank You!! 💕💕

18. Alexis Rose January 13, 2017 / 9:02 pm

I LOVE that Shelley!! ❤

19. Alexis Rose January 13, 2017 / 8:16 pm

Thank You, Terry! I will keep you posted for sure. I expect to see you and Gary at the premiere. 🙂

20. spearfruit January 13, 2017 / 7:56 pm

Very exciting Alexis, I look forward to see where this goes – good luck – and go for it! 🙂

21. Shelley January 13, 2017 / 5:27 pm