Perspective

It’s 7:30 a.m. 15 minutes ago, I woke up, thought about all the things I needed to get done today, both at home and out-and-about. I finally thought of the perfect gifts for my kids, decided what to make for dinner Christmas Eve and that we would run to the grocery store after I went to the gym and worked out.

I was just getting ready to set my intention for the day,  something I usually do before I even get out of bed, but today my monkey mind was in full active motion. I grabbed my phone to jot down the gift ideas and shopping list on my notepad, and to check out the temperature to see how cold it was outside. I was greeted with negative 20 degrees.

That’s cold, even for Minnesota, that’s cold! I live in the cities, not in the hinterlands.  My monkey mind immediately stopped, and my intention for the day became instantly clear. Just Be, Just Stop, Just Sit, Just Rest.

Perspective. My family and friends are all safe and sound living in homes with working furnaces, our critters are indoor animals (although, I felt very much for my dog this morning when I let her out), It’s going to be a sunny day, already there is a beautiful sunrise, and it will do me worlds of good to rest after the week I’ve had.

Perspective. Minus 20 degrees can provide excellent perspective.

Disclaimer: Minnesotans tend to have a lot of chutzpah when it comes to weather. We are made of tough stuff living in the north. I wouldn’t be surprised if in a few hours we brave the tempurature, run an errand and say, “weather, what weather…ohhh, it’s not too bad, at least there’s no wind.”

36 thoughts on “Perspective

1. Alexis Rose December 19, 2016 / 8:07 pm

Now THAT’S a very good New Year’s! Maybe this one will equally as celebratory. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. joliesattic December 19, 2016 / 7:12 pm

Me too! We even got bolder after that and got into our swimsuits to sit in a hot tub, outdoors!!! Slipping on ice on occasion as well from where people had gotten in and out and it froze. We may have drunk too much. LOL

3. Alexis Rose December 19, 2016 / 7:09 pm

That’s a great story! I’m soooo glad your face didn’t freeze off! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. joliesattic December 19, 2016 / 6:56 pm

I experienced so cold in Wisconsin once and I remember the radio telling people not to be out for more than 15 minutes or your face would freeze or something like that, so we “Ran” in to the restaurant, hoping that was fast enough. LOL. Later, we would spend New Years Eve, in Monarch Colorado at -12 and ring in the New Year with hot toddies on the back porch watching fireworks and the downhill torch light parade. Fortunately, there were toasty individuals all around. My face didn’t freeze off.

5. Alexis Rose December 19, 2016 / 11:34 am

๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ LOVE you!!

6. summerstartstoshine December 19, 2016 / 9:07 am

Haha!! That’s made me LOL ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚ “Crikey” exclaimed Alexis. “This weather is just not appropriate for a precious poppet like my friend. She isn’t called “Summer” for nothing! My girl needs heat!” ๐Ÿ˜‚

7. Alexis Rose December 18, 2016 / 10:58 pm

Okay…can I use Crikey and Poppet in the same sentence? I hope so!! Teach me a sentence using both words. I hope all is well as you take a step back and breathe. I love you Mrs Poppet. ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ’•

8. summerstartstoshine December 18, 2016 / 9:40 pm

That’s hardcore! Crikey. It’s been unseasonably mild here, about 10 degrees (plus) What difference is 30 degrees between friends?! Pretty massive actually lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ Bless you. I’m glad the temperature made you realise slowing down and relaxing was a good thing to do ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿค—โค

9. Alexis Rose December 18, 2016 / 6:03 pm

Ahhhh, 55 (shorts weather) Have a good day! ๐Ÿ™‚

10. SpiritualJourney17 December 18, 2016 / 5:38 pm

It’s going to reach 55 only for today. That’s summer weather for you! Stay warm while running your errands.

11. Prakhar Bansal December 18, 2016 / 5:33 pm

I can only wonder what that feels like. Never experienced that low temperature ever๐Ÿ™ˆ

12. Alexis Rose December 18, 2016 / 5:23 pm

Amazon looks really, really good today! ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Alexis Rose December 18, 2016 / 5:23 pm

yes…although I think it’s warmed up to minus 16 now. ๐Ÿ™‚

14. Nancy J December 18, 2016 / 5:09 pm

Wow! That is freezing cold. ๐Ÿ˜Ž I like your idea to enjoy the warmth of your home today. I shop Amazon from my bed. Cozier. ๐Ÿ™‚ Oh well, guess you will have to bundle up soon. Only one week left! โค

15. Aeshwarya December 18, 2016 / 4:34 pm

Exactly. That’s what New Delhi is like for 7/12 months!
    For us, December is bliss.

16. Alexis Rose December 18, 2016 / 4:33 pm

Oh my, I just looked up what 49 degrees celsius..120 degrees? Whoa…thats burning HOT!

17. Aeshwarya December 18, 2016 / 4:29 pm

I really would. Believe me, the summer sun (imagine 49 degree Celsius with UV index 10 coupled with humidity) hurt way more than snow! (At least that’s what I think) :p

18. Alexis Rose December 18, 2016 / 4:26 pm

Wow, you would? I would love to live in Tahiti! โ˜€๏ธ

19. danimcurtis December 18, 2016 / 3:31 pm

You’re welcome! And yes we certainly are a special breed!. It really is a beautiful day to look out at from the warmth of our homes.

20. Aeshwarya December 18, 2016 / 3:30 pm

Haha, really? I’d love to experience sub-zero temperatures. -20 should be better than 49!

21. Joan Treppa December 18, 2016 / 3:21 pm

Great piece. To paraphrase the words of the late music icon, Prince, his thoughts on Minnesota winters were similar to this: “I like the cold weather, it keeps the bad people away”…..although it is unclear about whom he was referring to. Merry Christmas!

22. Alexis Rose December 18, 2016 / 3:15 pm

I think we survive by having a really warped sense of humor! ๐Ÿ˜

23. Aeshwarya December 18, 2016 / 3:13 pm

-20?! I’d never know *how* humans survive such brutal weather. I freeze to death at 5 degrees!

24. Alexis Rose December 18, 2016 / 3:09 pm

Right?!? But the sun’s shining and at least there’s no wind. ๐Ÿ™‚

25. Alexis Rose December 18, 2016 / 2:46 pm

Right?!? Its almost laughable, or maybe Im experiencing that weird uncomfortable WTF, I choose to live here laugh. ๐Ÿ˜†

26. Alexis Rose December 18, 2016 / 2:41 pm

Thank You for the huge laughter and smile this morning when I read your comment. We are a special breed aren’t we?!? Stay warm the rest of the day, enjoy the sun โ˜€๏ธ

27. Alexis Rose December 18, 2016 / 2:38 pm

I hope this doesn’t travel to New York. Stay warm and Happy Holidays to you and yours! ๐Ÿ’•

28. ADaughtersHero December 18, 2016 / 2:35 pm

Funny, we were about to put our dog out and I knew it was cold, so I warned my husband the dog shouldn’t be out too long. Then I looked at the temp. -4 but feels like -26. We are next door in WI. This is the kind of weather that makes your nose hairs freeze instantly the moment you’re out the door๐Ÿ˜ƒ!

29. danimcurtis December 18, 2016 / 2:25 pm

I just got home from work. I was talking to my mom like I do every morning on my way home. As I was walking into my building I said, “at least there’s no wind”. Minnesotan through and through ๐Ÿ˜‰ Enjoy your day of rest.

30. dancingpalmtrees December 18, 2016 / 2:22 pm

God Bless you! And I thought New York City weather was brutal. Folks in your state are made out of tough stuff!! Happy Holidays!!