Wisdom, What it Means to Me Today.

Today I think to myself how would I describe wisdom if I were asked. I understand how vague that term has become, but still, if I were asked to define what that word means to me, I would say wisdom is the ability to be present. When possible, to try and take a holistic view of a situation and see it from a well-rounded, compassionate perspective without initial judgment.

Of course, there may be, or have been situations in our lives, where we need to trust that what’s happening is dangerous, listen to our innate wisdom and protect ourselves, so we can survive. That’s the beauty of inner wisdom, our survival mechanisms, and I, for one, am grateful every day for the wisdom I employed to survive my past.

The times when people have said to me, “you are wise” it was because I was responding to them in a fully present state. I was listening to what they were saying both verbally and nonverbally. I wasn’t thinking ahead to what I was going to say next, I wasn’t distracted by the noises that were external or internal. I was simply able to hear what they were saying and/or asking and respond in a way that was thoughtful and respectful. And truthfully, sometimes the wisest thing I have said to another person, and to myself is I’m simply not able to be objective, or helpful. There are still some topics that when placed in front of me, I will react from a purely emotional place. No objectivity, compassion or understanding anywhere in my realm of consciousness. I understand that’s an effect of my trauma.

Sometimes, I still have to work hard at staying present. There are times when it  is one of my most frustrating and biggest challenges. When I’m dealing with flashbacks, and triggers, staying present is often that elusive tool, that I know I have to employ. I think a lot of people, especially those of us who have been through trauma would say that staying present is a constant work in progress. Besides the normal monkey mind we all contend with, I also experience the challenge of climbing out of the vortex’s of the past, that pull me away, sometimes many times a day.

I believe as time goes on, I’m able to be present more often. I notice the birds singing outside the window, the wind gently blowing, the lawn mower of my neighbor, the noise of kids playing at the nearby playground and the sky. I love the sky!  It’s paying attention to the present that keeps me grounded in the wise place where I continue to heal, grow, change and live.

What does wisdom mean to you?

water-1761027_960_720

Featured Image -- 1029

25 thoughts on “Wisdom, What it Means to Me Today.

1. Alexis Rose February 12, 2017 / 1:24 pm

Thank You for your comment. You have wonderful insight!! Have a good day today. 🙂 Alexis

2. theselfnetwork February 12, 2017 / 5:32 am

Very interesting! I loved this post, we are often so quick to pass judgment without really actually observing the situation at present. We use past experiences to analyse situations which is not healthy. When we overcome that we become more helpful to not only others, but ourselves.

All the best

S

3. Alexis Rose December 2, 2016 / 3:59 am

Thank You! Flexibility is so important. Life changes so quickly.

4. reallifeusblog December 2, 2016 / 3:47 am

Intriguing and beautiful post. I think wisdom requires flexibility of the mind and heart coupled with awareness.

5. Alexis Rose December 2, 2016 / 2:59 am

Love the word and meaning of discernment!

6. Susan December 2, 2016 / 2:49 am

Wisdom to me means discernment.

7. thebipolarstoner December 1, 2016 / 11:30 pm

“climbing out of the vortex’s of the past,” I think is precisely what it means to me right now. That was beautiful and perfect.

8. Alexis Rose December 1, 2016 / 10:52 pm

Oh my gosh…THIS is a beautiful description of wisdom. Thank You! 🙂

9. emergingfromthedarknight December 1, 2016 / 9:05 pm

Wisdom for me is seeing and knowing deep truths beyond mind its found in the place our heart, feelings and full being connect and these truths flow into awareness with a power that breaks down defences and walls..where there was fog we now see a clearing where we feel fully connected on some level to the wholeness of life and creation and yes, even destruction. Wisdom can come often through suffering and is hard won through each of our experiences. Also when we are in the presence of wisdom or a wise person something inside us relaxes and opens up like a flower.

10. Alexis Rose December 1, 2016 / 6:50 pm

Thank You! love, “being alert.” It’s such a great way to put it. It has me feeling, wide-eyed and hopeful. Have a wonderful evening! 🙂

11. classyqueeny December 1, 2016 / 6:14 pm

Thats amazing i look at wisdom in a similar way. To me its awareness and being alert, taking things in. Like you said noticing the little things like the breeze. Thanks for sharing. Lovely, really. ❤

12. Alexis Rose December 1, 2016 / 5:50 pm

Thank You Terry. I totally get that unknown future. Especially with what you’re facing everyday right now. Have a wonderful day, and if you are still traveling, safe travels back home. 🙂

13. Jacqueline Zeigler December 1, 2016 / 3:34 pm

Nice Job, Ms. Alexis Rose!

14. spearfruit December 1, 2016 / 3:30 pm

Alexis, I would have to agree with you – being present is important and yes is wisdom. I also become lost in the past and recently in the unknown future. Thank you for an eye-opening post, have a happy day. 🙂

15. Alexis Rose December 1, 2016 / 3:22 pm

Enjoy your group. Sounds intriguing! Have a good day my friend!

16. Alexis Rose December 1, 2016 / 3:21 pm

Just beautiful! I love ” an experience, where the heart opens to learn something then or maybe is unconsciously saved and delicately placed within to be re-opened when the timing matters.
    Wonderful wisdom ❤️

17. Linda Lee/@LadyQuixote December 1, 2016 / 3:20 pm

Wow, thank you! I wasn’t sure what you would think. Relief!! Ok, now I must get off my tablet and get ready for my weekly women’s Bible study. We are studying a book called Wicked Women of the Bible. It is… different!! ❤

18. shellb39 December 1, 2016 / 3:19 pm

> Wisdom for me often denotes energy from earlier time, gained from an experience, where the heart opens to learn something then or maybe is unconsciously saved and delicately placed within to be re-opened when the timing matters. Thank you for this post wise woman!

Shelley

19. Linda Lee/@LadyQuixote December 1, 2016 / 3:06 pm

What does wisdom mean to me? Seeking our Creator God and His will for my life, above all.

I do not intend to push religion down anyone’s throat. I was staunchly agnostic for much of my life, and I really hated it when people tried to beat me over the head with their brand of belief. I still hate when people do that, in fact. My worst abusers called themselves “Christians”, so that was the last thing I wanted to be!!

But since the age of fifty, I have been a Christian believer… NOT because I don’t still have a lot of unanswered questions and even some doubts about that, but simply because the preponderance of the evidence in my life compels me to believe.

A book I read recently, written by a brilliant former atheist, a police detective who has been featured on Dateline for his great success in solving decades-old murders, helped a lot with some of my lingering questions and doubts. The book is Cold Case Christianity by J. Wallace Warner. His reasons for leaving his atheistic beliefs and embracing Christianity are so deep and thought-provoking, I have decided to send a copy of that book to my granddaughter, who is currently a student at Harvard University. She is also an agnostic, so her reaction to Mr. Warner’s book should be interesting. Especially since she is studying sociology and anthropology, and is engaged to a fellow Harvard student whose family background is Muslim.

Anyway, for what it’s worth to you, there is my answer to your question about what wisdom means to me. When I was in my twenties, I took a proctored IQ test and was told that my IQ is 156, just four points below Albert Einstein’s. For most of my life I thought I was too intelligent for religious “fairy tales”. Now I am a 63-year-old great-grandmother, and my thinking has…. evolved. 😀