“They”

They took my innocence at such a young age that I dreamed of climbing an apple tree and live like the squirrels.

They took my safety at such a young age that I wanted to live alone by a lake surrounded by cliffs so no one could find me, ever!

They took my choice to have my own interests at such a young age that I cringed when it came time for learning.

They took my esteem and infused it with shame, humiliation, and embarrassment at such a young age that I wanted to become and often felt invisible.

They took all those innate things away at such a young age that my ability to have trust, faith, security, self-esteem, hope or “person-ness” was stripped away.

Until it wasn’t!

Now “They” don’t have the power over me they used to have.

Yes, there are effects that resulted from all the trauma, but I can and do actively get help to work through them.

I don’t dream of living like a squirrel hidden high in a tree. Now I dream of living in a beautiful beach house on the ocean, in Tahiti, surrounded by family and close friends. Tahiti, ahh, Why not? It’s my dream.

I love learning. The more I learn the happier I am. In fact, I can be quite the trivia aficionado. Why not? It’s not so serious and there is nothing political about it.

I don’t venture down the shame spiral very often. And when I do, because a lot of us do, I reach out to supportive people in my life who get it and stop the shame cycle.

I have learned to trust (most of the time), I have a sense of my spiritual self, lots of hope and my person-ness is back. Never to be stripped away again.

“They” will never take my power or my truth away from me…ever again!

15 thoughts on ““They”

1. Alexis Rose August 13, 2016 / 6:29 pm

Thank You, but It is mutual inspiration. Im so glad we’ve connected! We all have that power, we just need each other to remind of us. 💜

2. kphoenix1 August 13, 2016 / 6:20 pm

You are my inspiration. At times, I would think back to a traumatic experience as a child and break down. But, you have power that NO ONE can take away. Thanks for sharing. 💜

3. Alexis Rose August 10, 2016 / 4:47 pm

Thank You Serena! Its a great gift we can give each other when we notice someone we care about starting down that spiral. 🙂

4. Alexis Rose August 10, 2016 / 4:44 pm

Im positive you will get to that place. Its a long road and never linear. I still struggle, its just an easier struggle now. Im glad we have a community of survivors on wordpress that we can cheer each other on. 💜

5. Serena Bradshaw August 10, 2016 / 3:27 pm

I like that you say you don’t go down the spiral too often now and if you do, you have friends to help you out. Nice work.

6. empowerinnerpower August 10, 2016 / 3:01 pm

The power within you will never be taken away! God has strengthen you and given you greater power!

7. dbest1ishere August 10, 2016 / 2:53 pm

I truly hope someday I can be as strong as you are. I am still struggling on how to even accept what happened to me…it is all so new and scary

8. Alexis Rose August 10, 2016 / 2:10 pm

Thank You! That means the world to me! What an awesome way for me to start my day. I know you’re at the end if your Wed. Sleep well my friend. 💜

9. Imani tm August 10, 2016 / 2:00 pm

You inspiration A. I just love you to bits 😘😘😘

10. Singledust August 10, 2016 / 12:25 pm

there is power in knowledge and clarity and both go together. dearest Alexis …no one can take that away from you, the power you have in your mind over your heart and the knowledge that you own in your brain….your strength always amazes and inspires me!