Surfing the Waves of Emotions

So much emotion!

I feel thankful, I feel  happy, I feel stunned.

I feel tired, I feel  confused, I feel scared and sometimes terrified.

I feel a sense of peace and connectedness to the world around me.

I feel hope, I feel calm.

I’m full of anxiety, fear, doubt, restlessness.

I am up, I am down, I am happy and I am sad. I feel fear, I am content.

I feel so many emotions that sometimes I’m not sure how to deal with any of them. So instead of trying to deal with them, I’m learning to let each one pass through me as they come.

Emotions; We all have them, and they come and go like waves. Some of them are little sets of gentle ripples and some are as intense as a tsunami. Waves come and waves go, each breaking on the shore and each is time limited.

I have learned to sit with the emotion, to understand that even the most intense feelings will soon ebb. Even though it feels like it, my emotions won’t take up all the space in my body, mind, and soul. There is even room to feel more than one thing…sometimes that’s such a paradox!

When I feel them begin to rise, I try for control. I want to balance perfectly and ride them to the shore with ease. That’s not life, even the most eloquent and prophetic surfer wipes out. It’s okay, another set of emotional waves will come soon enough.  Sometimes gentle, sometimes stormy, sometimes hardly noticing the fleeting feelings. That’s normal, natural, human nature.

I feel grateful.

surfer-1034603_1280

photo:pixabay

26 thoughts on “Surfing the Waves of Emotions

1. Alexis Rose August 4, 2016 / 9:37 am

Thank You! We ARE complicated and so fascinating! 💜

2. Oscar Dandelion August 4, 2016 / 6:21 am

Alexis, I really like how you’ve written about emotions. We humans are complicated things! 🙂
    Love + hugs xo

3. theturtle August 3, 2016 / 3:38 pm

Thank you 🙂 and a wonderful day to you too 🙂

4. Alexis Rose August 3, 2016 / 12:19 pm

Thank You Turtle! I love connecting with people through the comments of mutual bloggers we follow. Its a fun way to find like-minded people. Have a wonderful day today. Alexis

5. theturtle August 3, 2016 / 7:09 am

Your comment on Victo’s today brought me here , how surprised I was in finding another “surfer” 🙂
    Looking forward to take a dip 😉
    Turtle Hugs

6. Alexis Rose August 2, 2016 / 9:55 pm

Thank You Wanda, I really appreciate your comment. I can absolutely relate to that feeling of being consumed by an emotion. In fact today, I had to tell myself, “nope, this will pass.” Have a good evening! 🙂 Alexis

7. Wanda Luthman August 2, 2016 / 9:51 pm

Beautiful. A great reminder to feel our emotions but realize that they don’t own us or define us. I love how you said they don’t take up all the space in our bodies. So true and yet our strong emotions certainly masquerade as though they do.

8. Alexis Rose August 2, 2016 / 10:13 am

Thank You Serena, I really appreciate your feedback. Its always a work in progress to remind myself to quell the power that emotions have over me. Im glad we’ve connected. Alexis

9. Serena Bradshaw August 2, 2016 / 9:49 am

Thanks for the post and especially for reminding me that contradictory emotions takes so long to master for survivors, doesn’t it. It’s taken me 50 years to begin, only begin, to achieve that level of insight x

10. Alexis Rose August 2, 2016 / 2:17 am

Thank You Michelle. Its a work in progress for me too. 💜💜

11. Alexis Rose August 1, 2016 / 11:28 pm

Thank You. That means a lot to me. It helps keep me writing!

12. intergalaticspambox August 1, 2016 / 11:26 pm

Your writing is so genuine and speaks to exactly what I’m experiencing. Thank you for sharing 😀

13. Alexis Rose August 1, 2016 / 11:20 pm

Thank You so much for reblogging this! I really appreciate it. 💜

14. Alexis Rose August 1, 2016 / 7:19 pm

Thank You you, I really appreciate your feedback! 😃💜

15. Alexis Rose August 1, 2016 / 5:56 pm

Thank You Daisy. I appreciate that very much!! 💜

16. Daisy in the Willows August 1, 2016 / 5:46 pm

We are never just one emotion. As complex as that is and as annoying as it may be at times -it means we will have our ups and downs and I just love the surfer going with the waves. Great insight and beautifully expressed x

17. Jackie August 1, 2016 / 3:24 pm

Awesome writing Alexis. It is really really good. Really.

18. Alexis Rose August 1, 2016 / 3:01 pm

Huge Smile and hugging you! Thank You for your kind words and always continued support. You make it a lot easier to hit the publish button each time. Its 10 am here, so its nighttime for you. Sleep well my friend! xx

19. Singledust August 1, 2016 / 2:54 pm

lovely expressive words and feelings Alexis…..you always touch my heart and make me love life a little more than before