I’m the Hero of my Story

My body is streaked with sweat and dirt from my desperate search to find safe shelter.

I’m barefoot, in a grimy torn t-shirt and shorts; my hands and feet caked with dirt.

My hair is filthy and matted. My mouth is dry; I can smell and taste the gritty dust that hangs in the air.

I sit down on a curb at the side of the road, and I know it’s over.

All the questions are answered.

I’m unbelievably weary, all my energy spent in the act of sitting down.

I’m devastated…emotionally, mentally, and physically, and the worst of my wounds are invisible

And I will heal. I’m Okay, I will heal.

My eyes fill up, but no tears fall. I can only sit amid the rubble, trusting the safety of the gray, silent sky.

But I made it up the many, unforgiving mountain climbs.

I’m on the other side looking at the carnage, and metabolizing my truth, and I know

that I’m resilient, I’m courageous, I fought through.

And the words of Joseph Campbell resonate within me. I’m the hero of my story.

Thank you for reading Untangled, A Story of Resilience, Courage, and Triumph

30 thoughts on “I’m the Hero of my Story

1. Alexis Rose July 25, 2016 / 7:37 pm

Thank You for reblogging this Jason. 😃

2. Opinionated Man July 25, 2016 / 6:41 pm

Reblogged this on and commented:
    Are you the hero of your story?
    Note: Comments disabled here. Please visit their blog.

3. Alexis Rose July 24, 2016 / 8:31 pm

For sure…those invisible wounds that are hard to heal.

4. Mask22 July 24, 2016 / 8:28 pm

My pleasure, not many realise that emotional and psychological wounds need just as much treatment as the physical.

5. Alexis Rose July 24, 2016 / 8:26 pm

Thank You so much for your words of support. Im so happy to hear that you can relate to what I have written. That helps me stay motivated to keep writing. Glad we connected today and are both on this healing journey from PTSD!

6. Mask22 July 24, 2016 / 8:21 pm

Hi Alexis, I have just come across your blog today, (yes I am new).

Having read it, it is fantastic what you have written. Being ex military I have seen the impacts that PTSD has had on friends, colleagues and civilians caught up in a range of situations around the world. A lot of what you have written resonates with me. I think I still get anxiety to a degree in some situations so I can empathise with some of your statements.

Your words resonate to a great level and inspire others to find their inner strength, something I too am trying to help others with. Keep it up.

7. Pepper July 23, 2016 / 3:28 pm

A wonderful example of using our scars to build a foundation of inner strength and resolve. 🙂

8. Alexis Rose July 22, 2016 / 11:01 pm

Thank You Miriam, I really appreciate your feedback. That means a lot to me. 💜

9. Miriam July 22, 2016 / 10:52 pm

Wow, I love this Alexis. So powerful and so raw and I felt every word which resonated with empowerment. Beautiful. ♡

10. Imani July 22, 2016 / 9:09 pm

I mean it. I feel so close to you, especially after starting to read your book. I can’t wait to finish it 🙂 💜💜💜

11. Alexis Rose July 22, 2016 / 9:02 pm

Thank You!!! I really appreciate you hearing the rawness. I really appreciate your description. 💜 Alexis

12. quietmindquietbody July 22, 2016 / 8:47 pm

Beautiful and so raw …

13. Alexis Rose July 22, 2016 / 8:32 pm

Thank You! Ah…I love that visual, just love it!! Thank You for that. 💜

14. Alexis Rose July 22, 2016 / 8:30 pm

Oh Thank You Imani. That means the world to me comjng from you! 💜💜

15. ZenLikeFuck July 22, 2016 / 7:56 pm

Powerful words! This makes me think of a phoenix rising from its ashes. 🙂

16. Imani July 22, 2016 / 6:00 pm

You are a hero for yourself and others, a total survivor legend lovely 💝💝💝😀 Xx

17. Shari Rose July 22, 2016 / 3:00 pm

Yes, yes you are. ❤

18. Alexis Rose July 22, 2016 / 2:59 pm

Thank You Sasperella. I really appreciate that feedback. I’m glad this resonates with you….it keeps us both connected and healing. 🙂

19. sasperella July 22, 2016 / 2:47 pm

I resonate with this so much, thank you for posting

20. Alexis Rose July 22, 2016 / 2:28 pm

Yes, I totally understand what you mean and I feel the same way. Be well this weekend and let yourself breathe.

21. Singledust July 22, 2016 / 2:22 pm

me too sweetie! there’s a connection i cannot deny, when i read your words its like i have met your soul somewhere sometime before. be blessed always!

22. Alexis Rose July 22, 2016 / 2:20 pm

Thank You for your wonderfully supportive words my friend. I believe you are courageous and resilient already. I read it in your writing all the time. The way you can knit together your words, are so powerful and honest. I’m so grateful that we are on this healing journey at the same time. xx Alexis

23. Singledust July 22, 2016 / 2:15 pm

i will never have your courage and endurance to recall the pain and bitterness yet write with a fine string of a beautiful healing melody. you are not only strong, resilient and an amazing role model but your story resonates deep with me…thank you for sharing yourself with us