Friendship

So much has been written about friendship; from the trite to profound, but the truth is we (the human race) are a gregarious species. Our survival is dependent upon living in cooperation with others. Part of that living in cooperation is making and having friends, and that is sometimes easier said than done.

As I have been traveling down this healing path, I have had to ponder the question of friendship more than once. Sometimes, I was trying to discern who was no longer healthy for me, because they fed the fuel of my tendency to be taken advantage of by narcissists. Other times, I was un-friended by those couldn’t deal with the fact that I was suffering from PTSD, they just couldn’t handle it.

I pondered four questions: What is friendship? How do friendships endure? What’s the difference between an acquaintance and a friend? And how much do we need to protect our hearts from the risks of true friendship?

When I really love someone as a friend I do not protect my heart, because I think to protect my heart means I’m not giving freely of myself. When I commit to a friendship, I share my thoughts, hopes, desires, and secrets without reservation. My friendships are based on honesty. My friends and I know the difference between telling each other what we need to hear rather than what we want to hear.

I also believe that a healthy friendship is symmetrical. In other words, both parties are equally committed to the relationship. I’m committed to supporting and encouraging my friends and being there as they grow and change. I’m committed to seeing them through the minutiae of life. And hopefully, I can do that without judgment. The symmetry is, I know my friends will do the same for me. That doesn’t mean that there are times when people need time, and space because of life circumstances, ill health, or whatever life happens to bring, but the underlying commitment is never wavering, no matter how much time passes. A non-spoken loyalty.

I also have people in my lives who are more like acquaintances rather than friends. These are people that I sometimes meet for a meal or activities. They may be a constant person in my life, but I keep them at arm’s length. My conversation may be little more than scratching the surface,  the idea of sharing something intensely personal causes me some anxiety. These are the people I know who are going to be in and out of my life, but they are still just as precious to me. Besides just hanging out and having fun, they may have quite a lesson to teach me along the way. In fact, I have learned numerous lessons from my acquaintances. They tend to look and react to the world through a different lens. And, I kind of like that, it can be interesting.

There have been times when a friend has become more of an acquaintance because over time we grew apart. When that happened, I felt a sense of loss, but I also knew the decision was a healthy one. The opposite has been true too. I have had distant acquaintances that have become a steady and lovely friend; the kind of friend that I can’t imagine not connecting with on a regular basis.

As I found myself dealing with the mental anguish of PTSD, I was consumed with shame. I was ashamed of what I was remembering, my changing financial situation and the roller coaster emotional ride I was a constantly experiencing. I thought my friends would think that I was damaged and ugly and if they discovered the “real me,” they wouldn’t like me anymore. In fact, some people did back out of my life. Perhaps they were really more acquaintances than friends all along. But I can say with unequivocal certainty that my true friends have not run away. In fact, they took many steps closer to me. And because I am more open, and authentic I have also made some wonderful new connections in my life.

As I pondered the way I interacted with people in the past, I would say, I behaved more as an acquaintance than a friend. I shut myself off from showing any feeling and wouldn’t let anyone get close to me. I was always the smiling, tell me anything, kind of friend who had no needs, just let me be there for You. Now I have learned to show my vulnerability.

Now, I believe I present myself to the world  from a place of honesty. I’m not ashamed that I have PTSD, but I don’t wear a banner across my chest that announces it either. When I have a bad day, I have a bad day, it doesn’t mean I’m a terrible horrible person that no one will want to be around anymore. I know the difference between a friend and an acquaintance and although I love to hang out and have a good time, I am recharged and at my best when I spend time with a true friend.

I have chosen to have very few acquaintances. I value a deeper emotional connection to the true friends I have in my life. My circle of friends has also grown smaller, which I love. The key word here is “chosen.” I thrive on more intimate relationships with those wonderful and beautiful people who have joined me on my journey.  Acquaintances can be fun companions and there for you in times of need. There is nothing wrong with having acquaintances in our lives. However, for me, the time spent engaging in a deep connection is how I keep my cup filled and how I hope I’m able to fill other people’s cup.

girl-948250_1920

photo: pixabay

25 thoughts on “Friendship

1. atribeuntangled April 15, 2016 / 3:44 pm

Really? That is wonderful that you run a group and also that the topic of friendship was brought up. It is a multi-layered topic. So much pressure from society, then sprinkle attachment issues, and all the other layers and it makes for great self-reflection and personal growth. Thank You for sharing with me.

2. MySestina April 15, 2016 / 3:06 pm

the power in us shall win over… when one uses it in words, it can MOVE

3. atribeuntangled April 15, 2016 / 3:03 pm

That is powerfully written. Thank You for reading and for your beautifully written comment.

4. MySestina April 15, 2016 / 2:28 pm

those who are ready to step ahead and stand for no blood but just pure emotion, they are those who got the power to be called – friends!!

5. Kim Richardson April 15, 2016 / 2:10 am

It’s nuts, isn’t it?! So cool – I love the way you described it! 😀

6. atribeuntangled April 15, 2016 / 2:03 am

LOVE the blosesphere, so connected! 9 pm Thursday in Minnesota. Im in your yesterday, you’re in my tomorrow. ❤️

7. didandme12 April 15, 2016 / 1:46 am

So well stated and very true. I can relate to those true friends who step closer into your world, even when it is full of chaos. They are true blessings!

8. Kim Richardson April 15, 2016 / 1:38 am

Thanks, Alexis! They certainly can be tricky – sometimes it’s hard to figure out how the other person views your friendship too 🙂
    Have a great evening! It’s the middle of the day on Friday here, so your post gave me something lovely to read on my coffee break at work 🙂

9. atribeuntangled April 15, 2016 / 1:01 am

Thank You Kim! I really appreciate your response. Friendships can be a tricky subject sometimes. Have a great evening. Alexis

10. Kim Richardson April 15, 2016 / 12:55 am

You describe the different types of friendships so well. Over the years I’ve found myself choosing a smaller group of friends too. I don’t like that’s lonely either, they are true friends – people that even if I don’t see them for a couple of months, we pick up right where we left off. Some of these are people I’ve known for 25 years, some I’ve only known for a few years – but all are cherished. Wonderful post! 🙂

11. Jacqueline Zeigler April 15, 2016 / 12:01 am

Friendship time and intensity ebbs and flows depending on the physical and emotional health status of both parties. Over time, I have learned that many of those who I thought were true friends were anything but, and many of those who I earlier considered to be acquaintances were actually truly wonderful friends. My friends know that even if we dont see each other often, that I’ve got their back, I and I know they have got mine. Coming from a dysfunctional family confuses friendship for many of us. As we grow and learn more about ourselves, we also learn more about others behaviors and motivations. We take baby steps towards learning who to trust with our hearts.

12. atribeuntangled April 14, 2016 / 9:37 pm

Thank You for your comment. Sometimes having fewer friends instead of many acquaintances can feel lonely to some, but I don’t have that feeling. I too, cherish those wonderful people in my life. Alexis

13. oneta hayes April 14, 2016 / 9:21 pm

Friends have much more power to hurt than do acquaintances. They are to be cherished and chosen with care. It is sad when one’s life becomes so full of acquaintances there is little time left for friends, so i agree that you have chosen wisely to limit some of the acquaintances.