Then I Remembered

Then I remembered!

I opened my eyes this morning to the sound of the birds happily singing, the leaves gently swaying on the tree outside my window and the heavy smell of morning dew. I took a breath, a perfect moment, Spring is here!

The reason I know that’s how I woke up is because as quick as that, my brain kicked in and the fight began. For a moment in time, I forgot this was the anniversary date of trauma.

Then I remembered!

Now I am struggling to hear the birds singing for what they are, simply birds. I put food in my mouth and swallowed it hoping the feeling of dread, sorrow, pain, grief, fear, humiliation and hopelessness won’t churn it up into globs of nausea and make me wish I had never tried to eat. I go to the gym and work-out hoping the adrenaline kicks in and the feel of my feet on the treadmill will keep me grounded into the here and now.

The f*ing struggle!

My body memories have been reminding me of this upcoming anniversary for about a week now. I know I’m safe, I know I’m okay, I know it won’t happen again. But my body doesn’t realize it. My mind sniffs in the beautiful spring air and my body instantly recoils of the long ago memory of that same air.

So frustrating!

I want to go into the woods and just be with the birds, and the leaves and the nature noises. I don’t want to be with the flashback noises. I know the demons of my past are sometimes still stuck inside of me no matter what the backdrop is, and its manifests itself as PTSD. Even though I know I’m in a different and safe environment those demons still eek out…strong, virulent, sometimes unrelenting.

I know I’m healing and my truth, my words set me free. The truth of my words frees up space so the beauty of nature can fill me up and continue to heal me.

But then, I remember!

I know it’s better to always remember what I survived, but it feels so wonderful when I forget.

For now, I will have to be ok with hearing nature noises and accept that sometimes those same noises will trigger a flashback. It’s part of this illness, it’s part of PTSD.

I woke up this morning looking out the window hearing the birds, seeing the sun, smelling the spring air…Then I remembered!

20 thoughts on “Then I Remembered

1. atribeuntangled March 27, 2016 / 1:22 am

I do pretty well reading others stories. One of the reasons I wrote my memoir is so others can relate to the feelings and resilience it takes to survive. Im absolutely going to check out your writing. Thank you so much for your support. 💜 Alexis

2. atribeuntangled March 27, 2016 / 1:19 am

Thank You SO very much for your supportive words. It’s been a wonderful experience to write my memoir and write here too. I get to shout this is My truth and Im a survivor. Thank you for reading my writing. Alexis

3. orgasmicsecrets March 27, 2016 / 1:16 am

You are very welcome!

I wrote about one of my traumas from which I suffered PTSD for quite a while. I wonder if it would be helpful to you to read it and know that I am no longer triggered by anything in it? Here is the link in case you would like to read it: https://orgasmicsecrets.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/1-voice-unlocked-2-raw-naked/

I do need to let you know, though, that the story itself may be triggering so be mindful of that if you choose to read it.

Big hugs,
    OS

4. dbkerr March 27, 2016 / 1:15 am

What a great explanation of a horrible condition The important thing to remember is you are alive! Thank you for sharing this

5. atribeuntangled March 26, 2016 / 8:53 pm

Thank You so much for reading and leaving your support. It helps me on this journey and I love the community that all of us survivors share. Alexis

6. orgasmicsecrets March 26, 2016 / 7:09 pm

Your vulnerability is precious. Thank you for sharing this. I understand body memories all too well and the resounding pain of PTSD. It does get better and the freedom day is possible. ❤

7. atribeuntangled March 17, 2016 / 10:10 pm

Thank you for reading this and commenting. I trust that one day we will both be free of body memories. Then we will toast each other in the comments! Alexis

8. Ann E. Laurie March 17, 2016 / 10:06 pm

How well I’ve known this feeling. The body remembers. One fine morning we’ll wake up — and we’ll be free. : )

9. Rebel Recovery March 10, 2016 / 3:42 am

I’m so sorry it’s been such a tough week. Your post is really well written and it resonated — vividly — with some of the pain and frustration I also experience when I experience flashbacks. So…. here’s hoping your present tough situation eases up quickly. xo A.

10. ambivalencegirl March 8, 2016 / 1:58 pm

I suppose we all remember and forget and remember again. Grace and beauty vs the ugly monsters of the past. Your words are beautiful. Thank you. 💜💜

11. Jibby March 8, 2016 / 12:30 am

Hugs! When we are triggered by certain times of the year I think it can be even tougher in some ways.

12. atribeuntangled March 7, 2016 / 11:55 pm

Thank You for your beautiful and very, very kind comment. Taking it to heart!

13. The Velvet Soapbox March 7, 2016 / 11:49 pm

Gentle, hand on heart, embrace yourself with loving kindness …

14. atribeuntangled March 7, 2016 / 9:57 pm

Oh you brought tears to my eyes. Cant begin to tell you what that meant to me. Thank You!

15. atribeuntangled March 7, 2016 / 7:50 pm

Thank you so much for your support. It means the world to me. Your friend is lucky to have you. ❤️

16. joliesattic March 7, 2016 / 6:56 pm

PTSD is brutal. I have a friend visiting and she is totally consumed. I wish I could “fix” it, but I know I can’t. It wasn’t so much that it happened to her personally, but her family, but it’s like it happened to her.

I am so sorry. I hope you will heal soon.